Jumping the Moon Dairy - the next chapter

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I figured out why she had been yelling for the last two hours.

2017-11-16 14.39.02.jpg

At least she had a lot of guardians.

upload_2017-11-16_18-42-3.jpeg

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had heard her screaming about life but figured it was because her herd had left her at the hay feeder while they went out to browse and she is very vocal so I wasn't too worried. When I left to go get hay the poor girl was wandering around in the pasture all alone and it took me a minute to figure out why she was there by herself. As soon as I stopped the truck the dogs showed up to see what was going on, Francis helped "herd" her over to the fence so I could remove the paint can and then they all hung around for a "family" picture.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Was going to say the same thing. Think this is the first time that I've seen all the dogs. and in one spot no less. Impressive! Glad your goatie girl is now canless... :lol:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
She is the type that will find another can, she is such a pill. The property we bought is littered with stuff life that, it is a mess. The former owner was elderly and had lived there his entire life and things had gotten more than a little out of control as far cleanup. Then they died in a mobile home fire so nothing got cleaned up and debris from the fire got scattered as well. You can see an old shack in the picture, we intend to burn it down now that the fire danger has passed. I have just been too busy with the dairy to clean it up and it was too hot. The goats have cleaned up all the weeds so it is certainly easier to see the garbage here there and everywhere; I need to get in there with Bobbi (bobcat tractor) and my dump trailer and get to work...maybe next year.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
1)Lab approval for Appendix N (waiting on CDFA)
2)Labels approved for fluid and cheese. (Sent to CDFA 11/20)

4)Plant equipment approved before processing(fluid and cheese)

14)Clean all processing equipment/Provide approved food processing cleaners.
15)Vat pasteurizer thermometers to be checked by CDFA (not my job)
16)Clean dry storage area/remove unnecessary items

Getting there slowly but surely. I will have all but 1 & 2 done by 11/29.

I have 7 does left to breed for sure and the verdict is out on 2 others. And then still 7 that I think are bred. One of the for sure needs to be bred does comes into heat every 5 days so I will be treating her with some Cystorelin to hopefully solve a condition called cystic ovaries. And just so I can educate those that don't know... ovarian cysts are nonovulated follicles with incomplete luteinization, which can result in nymphomania :)lol:) or irregular estrus. Yup, she a nymphomaniac for sure. Every.Five. Days.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's great Babs!!....ya just keep on whittlin' and it will all be done before ya know it. Ya know, I was thinking and when ya get it all done and accomplished and the milk is flowing....just how are ya going to handle not being so pushed to realize your Dream?....it will all be a reality then and there will be maintainence, but nothing driving ya to go so much or do so much.....do ya just think ya might could catch your breath every once in awhile then? Oh, I know....ya will find something else to push for....:)
I couldn't imagine every 5 days....our pygmy doe drives me crazy sometimes with her once a month cycle.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The doe in constant heat, her name is Lucy, was running around today trying to be the buck with another doe that was in heat. Poor thing, she is a little confused. Hoping that she is in full blown heat tomorrow and I can give her a shot, the buck will do the deed, and it should fix the problem.

I'm not sure what I will do when I am done building, it will certainly be a change in what I do everyday. First I guess I will have to start a real journal and put this thread into retirement. I will say that I am looking forward to doing something that doesn't require a saw and/or drill. I still have the buck pens to finish and I want to build a cover off the back of the barn. I really have too many goats in there and I need to give them some more room and another feeder. See, there I go with that saw and drill again.

On another note totally not goat related I want to build a bigger pond in my backyard. I built a really pretty pond where I live before and I want to build another one very similar to this one. This is on my "to do" list for next summer or spring. I have a very small one that was supposed to be temporary...8 years ago. Time for an upgrade. I even have the pond liner already so no real excuse. I miss all the water plants that I used to have too. Gardening is my second passion, used to be my first, and gardening in water is even better. I look at these pictures and find it so hard to remember living somewhere that wasn't just dirt and weeds. There are times I miss my nice clean neat and tidy yard.

I will also expand my orchard, blueberries, and garden.

upload_2017-11-21_23-15-45.jpeg

upload_2017-11-21_23-17-24.jpeg

upload_2017-11-21_23-17-40.jpeg

Latest posts