Jumping the Moon Dairy - the next chapter

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is really nice and pretty....I want to try and do something for the ducks, but don't know what or how....I'm starting to research all that tho and get a direction and target.....hope the doe straightens her act out for ya....:)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a "wild" pond that is for the ducks. In the winter the rain and runoff keeps it full but in the summer I have to add water to it. It is in the chicken/duck yard and we do get frogs breeding there and I saw a few wild ducks in there the other day. I can't see it from my house, which is a little sad as I love watching the ducks.

I like the above ground pond for me (my back during building and maintenance) and the goldfish. It keeps the wading birds, like herons, and also raccoons a little more challenged when they come to fish. The straight sides don't allow them to wade in the get the fish. My next pond will be built with corrugated metal with the ribs running vertically and I will pop rivet them together at the seams. That will give me the ability to make the pond with a curved "natural" shape. I will use pipe insulation over the top edge to prevent the liner from tearing. Then put in the underlayment, then the liner and pull the liner over the edge of the metal. Once that is done I will build the outside part that supports the dirt. I will either use redwood or bricks. The bricks are nice but they harbor black widows, but they won't ever rot and I can curve them. When that is done I will start filling the pond with water and the dirt in the planter at the same time so that there is no uneven pressure on the metal side walls. Then I will put those flat rocks over the edge of the pond liner to make it look like an "in the ground" pond. With a lot of trial and error I learned how to make in the pond biological filters and when we moved I brought those with me so I have most of what I need to redo the filters. The biggest expense will probably be the dirt that I will need to fill the planting area, and the bricks if I go that route. As you can tell, I have been thinking about this for a while.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I really like the idea of the corrugated metal...sturdy and flexible at the same time.
As you can tell, I have been thinking about this for a while.
Sounds like you've got a plan! I'd love a backyard pond, but it's not really very far up on the 'to-do' list. I guess for now the stock pond will have to do.

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You might consider putting an add on CL for anyone getting rid of an above ground pool... You know, one of those round ones that are 48" high by 12+ feet wide... You could used the steel pool wall and put in any shape you'd like since you'll be supporting it on the outside. Instead of pipe insulation perhaps an old garden hose with a slit cut down its length? Might be more sturdy than the pipe insulation. Doesn't every farmer have an old hose around? The pictures of your old pond are beautiful. I'm sure the next one will be even better.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It sounds like I'll be PMing ya for some Q&A....your plan sounds really Awesome!!....:)

Prior to moving to Anderson and getting goats ponds were my thing. I had looked into building one in the ground and spraying it with a product like spray on bed liners but it was out of my price range. I played around with all different kinds of filters, in and out of the pond, and discovered what worked best for me. I had a pond made from a preformed liner for quite a few years and then wanted something bigger so I built the raised one and learned a few things on that project too. Ponds are a lot of fun, a way to garden in water, clean and cool. Kinda nice. I have not built a waterfall, not because I don't like them but I think that have to be in just the right spot in a yard or they look out of place. IMO they need to be in a corner or up against a natural embankment and not look like a weird mountain coming out of a flat piece of ground.

@Latestarter I did think about pool siding, but I don't really want to 4' deep pond all above ground. I have thought about cutting it though. As far as the top edge, if I use corrugated I need something that spreads pretty well to accommodate the corrugation. If I use a pool line a hose would work, but they also make a coping strip designed just for pools. I have installed a couple of those pools in my day.

On the dairy front...the dairy (milking parlor) side of the project is DONE. I now own a certified Grade A dairy. I still have a few more (new) things to finish in the processing side. Almost there. The lab evaluation officer is coming tomorrow and hopefully that will be done. Still waiting on labels. I am so tired I can't even be excited right now, maybe tomorrow.