Jumping the Moon Dairy - the next chapter

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Update that total to 7 pups but still only one girl. Why do I have dogs that take FOREVER to whelp? I had a Dalmatian that took 24 hours. Sigueme took over 14 hours and Alondra probably longer. At midnight she had 6 pups, at 8:00 AM she had 7. I thought she was done at 2 pups, then again at 5 pups. I haven't been to the barn in a few hours, maybe there is more. :)

Pictures have a reddish hue due to the heat lamp. And yes, she has that pup in her mouth, she was moving them. I think that she was too warm under the lamp. I moved the lamp a little ways to the side and she went back with them. The winds here today are crazy. Thunderstorms and downpours and then sun, but the wind is relentless.
2018-03-01 10.12.29.jpg
2018-03-01 10.12.35.jpg

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was a little concerned about Alondra and motherhood since she was way over the top in protecting her space under the feeder or trailer where she thought she should whelp. She would growl at any other dog that got near her. I was expecting a monster after the pups were born but she is doing really well. Of course she lets me check them over and love on them and move them but she is not really that bad with the other dogs. She does give a little warning growl but she doesn't hit the fence in an all out attack like I was expecting. Of course Sigueme wants to take them all...once a mama, always a mama. She stays very close to the pen and gets very concerned if one whimpers too loudly. I have no doubt that she would adopt them all.