Jumping the Moon Dairy - the next chapter

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like that floor piece, it would be easy(ier) to replace if needed. But I'm not sure the my blase style of home can handle that fancy upgrade. I can't see the rosettes picture, but pretty sure I know which ones you mean, I had them in another house. I have not done the trim as the only clear days we had I was cleaning the property we bought with the help of my kids, it was our Christmas present. Also, I want to do this project during the week when DH is gone so I don't get interrupted and I can work until midnight if needed. Next week I hope.

On the farm front, pups are three weeks old today and quite possible the fattest pups I have ever had here. Alondra is feasting on cow liver, scrambled eggs and goats milk plus 16 cups of high quality dog food a day. That girl is giving it all to her babies but she really does look good.

Kids...so far 32 kids have hit the ground. 18 does, 14 bucks. Only 7 Jumanji kids so far, 3 doelings, two I will be keeping and one is a LM/Alpine oops breeding so not sure. The dam got bred by two bucks that day and the ears tell me it was Jumanji that met the mark. No problems with kiddings but one doeling had a cleft palate and had to be put down.

I have a doe with Mastitis and another one that is iffy. I have not done a test on her, will wait until tonight's milking to decide. These are both LM does that I bought last summer from the same herd and I am suspicious that it is mycoplasma mastitis. Not a good deal at all. Time will tell but it takes 12 days to grow a mycoplasma culture. UGH!!!

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good news to all except the mastitis and kid with the cleft. I think SBC had one this year too. How common is that?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would like to say that it isn't common, but I have had two now in the last three years. There are three plants that can cause it if the doe eats them at a certain time during gestation. Poison Hemlock, Tree Tobacco, and a certain Lupine. All of those grow in my area but none on my land but that doesn't mean that there is none in the hay. I would hope not but you just never know.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bruce she’s growing those babies and needs all kinds of help to do it! I’m still trying to make one a permanent resident here...

@babsbag Thank you for answering me. I’m mainly just curious. I’ll be honest and say that I never even thought to check for that. That’s something that I will definitely do from now on. As far as those plants, I’ll have to look them up and see if we have them. We mow and bale all of our own hay. The majority is from our land, though we do a few other places on shares but most of that gets sold.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
For those that remember my wild time just about a year ago with my neighbor...well here comes round two. We were putting up the fence on the SURVEYED property line and the neighbor brought his rifle to our fencing party. Sheriff was called, rifle was confiscated, DA has been contacted, and the next day WE filed the restraining order. Geesh. I hate neighbors, or at least that one. They swear that they had it surveyed too and that our survey is wrong. But their survey was never recorded, ours was. And ours matches the plat. They say that we have to go to court and prove we are right and I say that they have to take us to court and prove we are wrong since we have the recorded survey.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
And I just don't have the time or the energy to fight about it. If it wasn't for the fact that I have a USDA loan on the land that prohibits livestock in the stream bed I would let them have it, I DON'T CARE. But since it makes me default on the terms of the loan I certainly do care. They run their horses on it and that is not going to work. My goal is to turn the area into bee habitat so I need the horses out so I can plant native trees, flowers, shrubs, and grass and not have it eaten and trampled by horses. But why can't they just be normal people, look at the map, get out a tape measure and admit that they are wrong? In CA they can't claim adverse possession unless they are paying the property taxes and I know that they are not doing that since I am.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest a couple of game cams to collect evidence. They seem just stupid enough to do something that could land them in jail.