Jumping the Moon Dairy - the next chapter

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nice looking kids and nice of the doe to have them without a lot of trouble or drama. Hope that Double Trouble doesn't have a ruptured prepubic tendon, I don't want that for you or her either one. If it makes you worry less, I'll say that my ewe looked like a pot bellied pig and your doe looks heavy, but not ruptured.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our culvert survived the washout, it came around one side and up over the road but the road stayed intact which is really good. We need to get some rock and fill in around the edge of the culvert but I need the neighbors to pay for part of it. Good luck with that.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
do the neighbors have to drive over that culvert --or just you?
I'd ask them all & see what can be collected. Maybe have a meeting.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most people would rather Pay and be done with it, if someone else makes the calls and arrangments...that way they can "Claim" that they helped....:)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ditto on the colors, I was very surprised. My Alpine buck is a Chamoisee and most of his kids are chamoisee or broken chamoisee. I didn't expect this from my BLACK mini buck.

@Mini Horses, There are 8 homes out here and everyone drives over this culvert. However, most of my neighbors are either retired or just plain unemployed and claim that they have no money. Many of them grow marijuana on the side and have more money than we do. Two of us already paid 800 to have the road graded, and I paid 600 of that. Another neighbor rented an excavator and did some work too, not sure what that cost him. This is a private road so it is up to the residents to take care of it, it is just native soil, mostly river rock and hard to work with. Wish I was rich, I would have it professionally paved and be done with it. This summer we need to add another culvert, I think that the drought had us all pretty complacent.

Would love to have a road maintenance agreement in place, but hard to do with a bunch of old timers that have been here longer than the road, literally. One of them put in this culvert years ago, before that they just forded the stream and hoped for the best. It isn't a small culvert either. This was a mild flow compared to last night.

upload_2017-1-11_20-29-30.jpeg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Time to dig out and make a nice pond upstream of the road. Then replace/add another culvert for pond overflow.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
WOW...That's a RIVER not a stream :ep

Yeah, sometimes there is no money and sometimes there just is a "wait & someone else will do it" attitude. ANY chance that the road could be given to the State and they would maintain it? Not all States will do this but, some will. Yes, a hassle.

So, now you have does coming into milk....is the dairy at a point that you will be able to use them and operate? Will you bottle the kids now/soon? I would think you are rushing a fast as you can to get this working but, just wondering how far along you are now. It would be exciting to see it up & working.....yes, for you too :lol:

Just been so many "things" going on, was wondering how the original plan was progressing. Often I find myself taking on things at the wrong time but, often they are now or never things, future needs. High gear running can be exhausting. :)

Calendula

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just like Mini Horses said, I bet most of them are doing the "wait and let someone else do it." They probably don't want to spend their money on fixing their road if they think someone else will just eventually do it.