Jumping the Moon Dairy - the next chapter

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@CntryBoy777 I already have the LGDs. I think 4 can handle the job. ;) My goats are so overprotected right now it isn't even funny.

More fence for sure, but before I can put up new I have to take down the old but I am hiring that done. Ahh I love hard working youth. I may run a string line and have the same youth put in t-posts. I am excited and terrified at the same time.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wasn't "Faulting" your dogs at all, Babs...honestly, I didn't recall right off hand how much land was in the "Expansion", and how you were going to split that land up....and if were of size or numbers of fields, there may be need of adding some. So, I wasn't doubting the "Abilities" of your team now tho. :)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I didn't take it that way at all. It's all good.

The additional land is 8 acres, about 5.5 usable. The goats will have access to most of it for now except for the area where there is an old shack and outhouse that needs to go away. I don't need a curious goat falling in a nasty old hole in the ground, and they would if they could. Eventually I hope to cross fence it and put in some seasonal pasture and maybe a steer and definitely some pigs, but not breeding pigs, only raising them for my freezer. Will also be making a holding area for our "rolling stock" but very secure so no one steals the trailers. I have a dump trailer, a horse trailer, a manure spreader trailer, and 3 flat bed trailers (hope to be two one day) and I just don't have the the room to store them all. DH found an alarm that will send a message to my phone when the hot wire is tested, I may invest in that for the trailer corral.

I put gates between my fields and teach my dogs to go between fields by going over the gates. On a perimeter gate I close in the top area and run a strand of hot wire. It works and the dogs stay put. This new area will have a lot more coyote exposure being that it fronts the creek; I may put 5' wire on the creek side just to make me feel better. The creek side is also the road side...another reason for 5' wire. Hmmm, maybe 6'; I trust coyotes a lot more than humans. But really I think 5' would be good, IF I can afford it. That side of the land is right around 600'.

Of course I need a couple of shelters for pigs and cattle and hay storage for them. I have some old tin, not pretty, but usable and paid for; I also have a bunch of culled lumber from Lowes that contains quite a few 4x6 posts. I should be able to do something when the time is right.

Last edited:

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
It sure does, Mike....sounds like a "Dream" coming true. :)
I use 5' wire here for all boundary fencing. I feel better with it, and if I can deter a predator with that extra, then it is worth it to me.
Babs it sounds like the extra room and space will certainly be a Blessing for sure, and hope it all does come together for ya. :)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I priced out the 5' fence today and I am not sure I can justify the difference. I can get 4' for 119.00 a roll at our local lumber yard and 5' is 189.00 at TSC. When you have 1300' to do that comes out to almost a $1000.00 My dogs will keep the 4 legged predators at bay and a determined 2 legged one probably won't be stopped by anything. $1000 can buy a lot of t-posts and labor.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
wow, babs, congrats on the additional land. sounds like things are coming together. how close to starting is the dairy. tough decision on the $ of the wire. if the rolls are 330' then you would need 4 rolls and the difference would be about $280. might be worth the extra in the long run but having to come up with that extra $ isn't easy.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The dairy isn't close enough. LOL I am hoping to be milking in there by April; even if I am not legal I can start using it and learning how it all works.

The rolls are only 100'. It is 2x4 no climb fencing. I like that for my perimeters as no critters bigger than a squirrel can get in. I they were 330' rolls I would do it for sure.

Latest posts