Jumping the Moon Dairy - the next chapter

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Wow I missed all this! I hope things get resolved with the neighbors soon and you can move on. And that baby! Of course it's a buckling lol. Just don't make any decisions yet on him. The right home will fall through. The special ones are worth the wait.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
It sure is nice he has some snuggle partners, he is so cute. I hope he pulls thru for ya. So sorry for the losses...:hugs I've been busy here with fencing, myself so I missed the events. If I was closer I'd sure talk to ya about him cause I'd sure take him. :)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a friend that says that there is no way he is 20 days early and still alive...it just doesn't happen.

All I can say is I know what I know. All but a few of my goats I have exact breeding dates on as I put the buck and doe together in a separate pen for a few hours and I always witnessed the breeding or I would write down that I never saw the deed done and then I would watch for a heat again in 18 days. She was bred on 11/8 with a due date of 4/7. I have stock panel fence between the pens and hot wire on each side. The goats don't get closer than about 2 feet from that fence. There is no way they did a fence breeding, plus she was obviously in standing heat when I witnessed the breeding. IDK what to say. If she had been bred the cycle before I saw her bred (from a miraculous flying buck) the kids would not be early, they would have been right on time.

Howerver, his teeth are still not erupted and his hooves are just starting to get hard. His eyes were just little slits, his coat is very short, no body fat, it took him 48 hours to stand and more to start to walk. He doesn't run or jump yet and he still can't regulate his temperature very well. I won't say that he has trouble breathing but he is noisy. He eats about half of what other kids would eat. He is obviously early and I don't see any way he could have been conceived other than at the time I saw it.

:idunno

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
It happens. Many years ago I had a similar issue. Pygmy doe kidded triplets 3 weeks early. Two made it - but they were much like yours. No teeth, soft hooves, tiny appetite and sketchy respiration for several weeks. I tube fed for the first few days as they had no suckle reflex. Kept them with mom and after a few days I would hold them up to try to nurse and so that mom remembered that they were hers. When they were stronger they actually learned to nurse and went on to be nice goats.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mom was totally clueless to start with; as if she had no idea what just happened. She was laying down pushing and reaching for the hay at the same time. Even if the kids could have stood up she was not interested at all, no calling, no cleaning, nothing. She was a good mom last year so I'll just chalk it up to lack of hormones and forgive her. Fortunately she has milk, and quite a bit of it.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The goats are looking at my calendar and laughing. I have 3 that are at day 152 today and they are laughing the hardest. Another doe kidded triplets yesterday on day 149 and one that was "supposed to be first" went yesterday on day 155, right when I was leaving for town.

4 years ago day 155 was the norm for my Alpines, anything before that I called early. Then I got LaManchas and moved the "normal" date to 150 days. Well it looks like the LaManchas are sticking to 150 and the Alpines are back to the 155. Geesh.

I also need to get CDT, etc done on another group of does.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fingers still crossed for the little one, sounds like he is hanging in there!

Latest posts