Jumping the Moon Dairy - the next chapter

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just now seeing all of this.

You will be in my prayers. Speedy recovery for your DH and strength for you. The serenity will follow.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Only 3 more does to freshen this month, all due in the next 4 or 5 days. One of them is my LM that was sick with the ear infection and cough about 5 months ago. I honestly thought that she didn't settle but Bio-Pryn says differently. However, looking at her I would say that I was right. No udder, no baby bump, nada. It is always possible that I wrote down a date and then bred her again later, but I honestly don't remember that being the case.

One of the other two may not be bred as well, but she was bred for Mini LMs so maybe she is just small.

The third one is a doe that hadn't settled for the last 4 or 5 years. I thought she look pregnant and Bio-Pryn confirmed it. I am excited about her kids, but with my boy year (2:1) she will probably give me all boys but twin doelings would be really nice.

I have one due in May and 3 in June and then I am done. I have only one doe with problems. I got home and one kid on the ground dead and I pulled another dead kid. I was able to foster my preemie bottle baby on to her as well as a kid from a doe that had just had triplets. That doe has 1/2 an udder so trips were going to be a stretch.

So far I have 15 does and 30 bucklings. That is a lot of kids.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Holy Cow - that is a WHOLE lotta kids! Hope things are settling down for you and really hope DH is on the road to improvement.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Hens and Roos My preemie kid is doing great. He is the sweetest thing ever and I have no idea what to do with him. I didn't get him disbudded as I wasn't sure he was up to the stress and by the time I knew that he would be ok the horns were too big to do myself. I haven't been disbudding any bucklings this year as they are all going to a buyer that doesn't care (probably for meat) but this guy isn't going to go to him.

The buckling's name is JC, my husband named him Joe Camel. I may take him to the vet next week and pay her to do them. She can do them when they are bigger. I have to find him a pet home somewhere. If I don't he can just live with my does...what's one more mouth to feed at this point?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Back to fencing. I am ready to put the wire on the h-braces. What is an easy way to make the loop on the wire? I don't have a crimping tool. While looking at ways to crimp the wire I came across this.

@Latestarter and @CntryBoy777 Isn't this opposite of what you said? I found it done the way of the picture in another publication as well.

0416pc-falbo-fg3.jpg

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
When ya start the wire ya have to cut enough verticle wire to allow ya to wrap it around the post and back to the fence to attach it. I just wind in 5-6 times, I don't have a crimper or the sleeves. The pic is opposite of what I thought I understood about it, glad that I used a "X" then, and sorry to have confused the issue. I'm at this step with my fencing too, and plan on getting some up today myself.
I'm sure glad that things have settled down for ya and DH is much better....ya sure have your hands Full and wish I was close enough to lend ya a hand. It sounds like ya have little ones Everywhere there.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Hey Babs... that picture is exactly what I had described... the arrows are pointing to the fencing that will be pulling against the first post (A). the wire high end goes on the side of the "H" where the weight of pull will be; (B). The wire NOT shown in that picture with the high side at (A) would be to counter the pull of the weight of a gate attached to that post.

That picture is showing a tensioner to pull the wiring tight. That's expensive and not really necessary, but by all means can be used if you so desire. If you have crimping sleeves, you can run the wire around the posts and back to each other, feed the wire through the sleeve in opposite directions, then crimp the sleeve.
pACE3-17010343enh-z7.jpg

Alternately, you can just bend each wire back on itself over the opposing wire and then twist each end back around itself Think locking index fingers. #3 in the pic below.
upload_2017-4-15_11-18-50.png

This will weaken the wire somewhat at the bend point, but since there will be no real "load" on the wire, it won't be a critical issue.

Then place your stick, bolt, rebar, conduit, whatever you have between the two sides and start twisting it to tighten it.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think DH is coming home today. :weee

I get in on the fencing now, I just understood it wrong. I am not going to use a tensioner, as I have 6 of these to do, too much money. I have the horizontal brace on three of them and will do the others this week IF I get some days with no rain. If I can just twist the wire back on itself that makes sense too. I am sure once I get started on the wire it will all make more sense, hands on is the best for me. I am anxious to get this fenced so the goats can gorge themselves on all the new growth of poison oak.

Latest posts