Jumping the Moon Dairy - the next chapter

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think I would be on pins and needles with the history you have with the neighbors. At least you have done your homework.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
@OneFineAcre Do you have any problems taming down the kids that are dam raised? Somewhere there has to be a happy middle ground and I sure haven't found it. They either love me or hate me and I agree that BBs can be obnoxious.

I have scheduled the installer for DeLaval dairy equipment to be at my place the first week in June to fine tune all of the milking equipment. DH is back to work during the week and now I need him to step it up on the weekends too. Please pray that this gets done, I can't milk all these goats by hand and I have the buyer of the kids coming in June as well. What have I done??? :eek: But my DH works best with a deadline so I made one for him. ;)

I just saw this.
We just try to leave them in the kidding stall longer than we used to and spend time with them.
Some are friendlier than others.
Seems most come around by the time they have kids.
And then some are friendly and some just tolerate you.
I'm ok with them tolerating me as long as I don't have to chase them when I need to do something like trim hooves.
Our milk stand is not inside our fence. Even the ones who aren't necessarily friendly we can open the gate and they run and jump on the milk stand. Well maybe all except Cookie.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The restraining order was dismissed. :weee

As a witness I didn't get to hear the testimony of anybody that went before me, and I was last. However I guess a lot of things were said and lied about and it was pretty obvious. They accused us of driving slowly past their house and waving and they took a picture...it wasn't our car. They accused DH of throwing nails in their horse's pen (way back in Jan) which of course he didn't do. The judge said it had no bearing on this case. He said that there was no evidence that DH cut the fence but that there is evidence that it was washed out by a storm and that if we had cut the fence it was to stop flooding and it was justified. The judge said that maybe there was a heated discussion, and maybe there wasn't but having an argument does not necessitate a restraining order. So all in all it was a good deal, but a long and expensive one...3 hours and $2500.00

The attorney will now file a petition for our expenses to be paid by the accuser. And now we get to build a fence...well, in a few months. I am hoping that there will be no more problems with them. Prior to this we had basically no contact with them, a "hello" now and then but certainly no friendship or even a relationship of any kind. I liked it that way. You mind your business and I'll mind mine and I'll be a "neighbor" in an emergency or a time of need, pretty simple, right? I don't want or need a long term feud.

Back to focusing on the dairy.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So there still hasn't been any solution to the property line dispute? or the fact that they've been pulling up the survey stakes? or is all that part of another court deal?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
We just try to leave them in the kidding stall longer than we used to and spend time with them.
Some are friendlier than others.

Same here. I do imprint them as day or two olds, that helps. This year I had a bottle baby that lived with the herd, came over for bottle. He had been imprinted. In the end he was friendly enough to be handled and could have turned into a nuisance if allowed :) but, not afraid of handling. Had it been a doe, I would have handled more...bucks were sold.

Glad restraining order cleared up. It's amazing what some will do instead of talking NICELY and working it out, especially when it isn't ever going to go in their favor. Cost me thousands to defend a path on my own property. Costly and emotionally taxing. Ten years later, all now fine. Results? Same as I suggested 10 years before.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That is great news @babsbag! Very glad to hear. Hopefully they will be forced to pay attorney's fees and will learn to mind their own business on their own land!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I get ready to move the fence I will send them a registered letter and inform the local Sheriff. I have already filed reports on the pins being removed and was told that I can ask for civil protection if needed. We have pictures that show the survey stakes with flagging and we can line them up with the "lay of land" and be really really close and we will just fence inside. If they want to contest it that they will have to pay for the survey, not me.

The surveyor was in court and he said that the last time he was here the pins were still in place but they had been driven in quite deep. We rented a metal detector this time and still couldn't find them. The t-post we drove in and the wooden stakes were obviously gone. I don't plan on hiring another survey, I will just go by the pictures.

It was funny that they claimed that they have no guns and yet they told the surveyor that "it was a good thing you identified yourself or you would have been met with "sixes" flying over your head." The surveyor took it to mean 306 bullets. Why make a threat like that if you don't own a gun?

The accuser wanted to know why we didn't just come and talk to them...I thought that is what we did. :th

On to bigger and better things and I can go claim our guns again. :)

I am supposed to have a dairy equipment installer here in about two weeks to make the final adjustments on the milking equipment and the list is still a mile long. We have not set a date, other than the first week in June...really hoping that that is the first FULL week in June and NOT June 1st or 2nd.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Way to Go!!...I didn't think they had a leg to stand on, and Hope ya can recoup some of the expenses anyway. Sounds like milk will be Flowing in just a couple of wks....:celebrate
Been a long winding road, but ya Overcame all the Obstacles and even the A**es, too. It is so well Deserved and certainly wish ya the very Best....:thumbsup