The cost of feeding Nigerian Dwarfs for a year

Bicycle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If I get Alfalfa for $4 per normal sized bale, dairy goat feed $15 per 50 pound bag, sprouts from grain that costs $5 per 10 pound bag, and minerals (dunno how much they cost), how much do you guesstimate it would cost to feed 4 in milk Nigerian Dwarf goats for a year? For the sake of the equation, lets assume they're not really getting anything out of their pasture.

Goatmasta

Reaction score
The cost per head for Nigerian dwarfs is between $175-$200/yr That is hay, feed and vaccinations.

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm horrible at math so I'll tell you how much mine eat, and you can figure it out yourself. :) When I had only 5 Nigies the ate a bale of hay a week during the winter, (it get's REALLY cold here) and during the summer on no pasture they ate a bale somewhere between every week and a half to two and half weeks.

I only grain my does in milk, or individuals that are having trouble keeping them on weight. Doe's in milk receive 1lb of grain in the morning and either 1 more lb in the evening or 1lb alfalfa pellets. Sometimes both. I use kelp and herbal formulas for minerals. I don't know exactly how long it would last if I gave them all they wanted back when I had 5, but I guessed at the current crazy rate they were eating it (catching up from the time I wasn't giving it to them) 1 50lb bag (which costs me about $75) would have lasted about 3 months. At the rate recommended on the bag, that is based on free choice I figured it would last me a year.

I recently bought a bag of standard minerals because I was all out of kelp and couldn't get more fast enough, it was 25lb for $25, and I think if I was currently set up to give it to them free choice (which I'm not) I think my now 12 Nigies would go through it in a month. But like I said before, they are mineral deficient right now so I think they would normally go through it slower.

Goatmasta

Reaction score
I just refigured my monthly cost.... I am spending around $650 - $750 /month for around 60 goats. On the high side that comes out to $150/head/yr... FYI that is for hay, feed, and minerals. SO @ $175/yr you could include some meds etc..

Goatmasta

Reaction score
For the other thread that I referred to this thread. @ $200/head/yr you are spending 55 cents/day /head. That is not much, and includes hay, feed, minerals, and a few basic meds.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
AlaskanShepherdess said:
When I had only 5 Nigies the ate a bale of hay a week during the winter, (it get's REALLY cold here) and during the summer on no pasture they ate a bale somewhere between every week and a half to two and half weeks.
A bale of hay lasted a herd of 5 goats 2 1/2 weeks without any pasture or browse? A standard 50-60 lb square bale?

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yes, and they were FAT then too! They got a bit of grain as well then, I gave all five around.... maybe 3lb a day?

ETA: I believe on the weeks that it actually lasted THAT long we would chop them down a few branches or bring them a bucket or two of weeds. Not a lot of extra food, but enough to slow down how much they ate. Weeks where they got NOTHING extra except the grain it was I think 1 or 2 days short of being 2 weeks.

I didn't feed them as much as they would eat, because they were so fat, I fed them how much they were content with.

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I judged how much to feed them by how fast they ate, if I went out there 20 minutes after they ate and everything was eaten up then I gave them more. If they didn't finish it all up (as in everything, all the good stuff it usually eaten up in the first 20 minutes) until between noon to 3 then I waited to give them more till evening.