Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I called my vet to see what the price of getting health certificates would be on two goats for a show I was planning on attending. The cost was $105 for 2! Is that typical?

Of course, that is not the whole cost of showing with entry fees, gas, etc. so I was disappointed. I didn't realize showing would cost so much!

@OneFineAcre @Goat Whisperer @Southern by choice @Fullhousefarm

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
When we showed out of state and needed a health certificate My vet came to my farm, wrote every animal down with ID # and checked EACH goat thoroughly-
We had 10 goats going.
With farm call it was $90.

The cost as far as showing really seems to vary- some shows $6 per ring others $8 per ring sometimes $12- sometimes discounts for a certain number of animals.
4 ring shows are great because you have 4 opportunities under 4 different judges BUT it can really add up.
2 ring shows are nice. (cost wise) Sometimes there is an exhibitor fee too.

@OneFineAcre has been showing for years so he has a better idea of the scope of fees then we do.

Some shows are free & show shows pay out.

We haven't needed a health certificate to show in state though.

Some shows for us aren't worth going to because they may not have enough of a particular breed to be sanctioned.
For example we were 1 goat shy of Prynne getting her dry leg. She won GCH both rings. The worst part is if we had taken one of our other lamanchas she would have gotten it.
Nigies always make their numbers! The nigie classes are huge!

We thought about going to Ga but yep-heallth certificate again, 4 rings, gas, 9 hour drive, several days- one of which DH would have to had taken off (possibly Monday too)... it adds up.
3 hours is good for us... yeah it means only a few shows a year but it can get expensive.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
When we showed out of state and needed a health certificate My vet came to my farm, wrote every animal down with ID # and checked EACH goat thoroughly-
We had 10 goats going.
With farm call it was $90.
:th:th:th

Can I have your vet?

I'm going to call some other vets around here, because I cannot afford to show multiple goats at multiple shows if I can't find something cheaper. Feeding them is expensive enough. :(

We haven't needed a health certificate to show in state though.
This is in-state, but a health certificate is still needed. Wish they'd require it on all the "petting zoo" animals at the fair. :/

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you showing in state?
I'm surprised you need a health certificate.

Some shows have a vet check over the goats as you are unloading them to make sure they appear healthy. If you encounter this make sure the vet/vet student is taking proper biosecurity measures. I was exhibiting at a show and the vet checks over the goats after you put them in their pens.
The vet (or vet student) didn't have a clue and was going from pen to pen (inside the pens!) and touching the goats with her bare hands. Touching their noses and mouth, looking for zoonotic diseases, with her bare hands :thand no plastic boot covers were on her shoes either :barnie

I made her wipe her hands, then use a hand cleaner, and brought the goats out of their pen. Sometimes to be aware of because that's a sure way to come home with respiratory issues.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Are you showing in state?
I'm surprised you need a health certificate.

Some shows have a vet check over the goats as you are unloading them to make sure they appear healthy. If you encounter this make sure the vet/vet student is taking proper biosecurity measures. I was exhibiting at a show and the vet checks over the goats after you put them in their pens.
The vet (or vet student) didn't have a clue and was going from pen to pen (inside the pens!) and touching the goats with her bare hands. Touching their noses and mouth, looking for zoonotic diseases, with her bare hands :thand no plastic boot covers were on her shoes either :barnie

I made her wipe her hands, then use a hand cleaner, and brought the goats out of their pen. Sometimes to be aware of because that's a sure way to come home with respiratory issues.

From the rules for the show I want to attend, "All goats must have certificates of veterinary inspection and a scrapie premise number."

One thing I have been worried about from my vet biosecurity wise is them apparently not cleaning the thermometers they use on my goats. I have seen them use it on one, then another WITHOUT cleaning it, then sticking it right back in their pocket. I don't want cross contamination between my goats, but CERTAINLY not from other's animals. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to be rude, but maybe I should? I don't even want to think about what could be passed through that practice.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have to have health certificates for every show we attend. Usually 6+ a year and all but one in state. They are valid in state for 90 days, though this year there is a new "rule" decided by our uninformed lawmakers, that all babies with their dams over 30 days old have to be tattooed AND listed individually on health papers. It used to be 90 days. Not sure how that's going to work. I predict lots of "3 week" old babies... Anyhow- we end up with 2-3 health certificates per year depending on how dates hit.

We have two local vets we have used. One charges $10 if you come to him at 5:30 and is fast. Another is very thorough and charges $25 per sheet. I think it's up to 12 goats on a sheet. I think most would end up around $100 for a farm visit and health certificate. We might look into that before our Feb show since we need the bucks on the papers for three March shows and we will have tons of babies on the ground.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Your goats shouldn't be in the petting zoo? I would think anyway.

None of ours were ever under petting zoo. That is extremely hazardous to the goats and I would be worried about being my goats there if that is the case.

Do you have the forms? If you want I'll take a look at them.
There are petting zoo animals at the fair. In fact, another breeder was at this show last year and noticed open abscesses on some of them and complained. They loaded them up in their trailer, but didn't care. :somad They are not in the same building.

If I attend I am having "DO NOT TOUCH" signs, completely bleaching their pen, putting down tarps, putting fly spray on them, and wiping their feet with clorox wipes after going in the show ring and going home.

A vet certificate is pretty simple, I'd see if you can find another vet for this. $50+ is crazy. Is that if you bring them to the vet?
Yes. I've paid more than that for them to do less. :(

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have to have health certificates for every show we attend. Usually 6+ a year and all but one in state. They are valid in state for 90 days, though this year there is a new "rule" decided by our uninformed lawmakers, that all babies with their dams over 30 days old have to be tattooed AND listed individually on health papers. It used to be 90 days. Not sure how that's going to work. I predict lots of "3 week" old babies... Anyhow- we end up with 2-3 health certificates per year depending on how dates hit.
Ugh

Latest posts