Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bay, I LOVE that picture!!!! Such a feeling of ease and love in that. Amazing how similar our dogs look in these two pics, too. :clap

Ben has shown protective instinct early on and I think that will develop more with time, but I'm going to give him clear instruction on just when and where that is appropriate. So far he has been in only one situation wherein he thought we were being threatened and he responded appropriately to the threat and also to my cue. I was very impressed with how he managed it and how quickly he assessed the situation.....impressive in such a young dog.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ben turns 11 mo. old this week and he is starting to show some sexual maturity...asserting himself more with Jake, which results in some pretty quick, vocal and physical exchanges. Had one of those this morning right behind me, so I stepped in on that one. Jake will soon be deposed as leader here and Ben will take the lead....which is what I was needing on the homestead.

It's still sad to see, though Jake is not a natural leader he is still one tough dog that is maybe feeling his age and weakness next to this bigger, younger and more dominant male.

Ben still needs more work when it comes to controlling his exuberance with new people and also his borderline possessiveness with me....he doesn't like it much if I don't pay attention to him, so barks and jumps around...seems like he's trying to boss me into doing what he wants. Ain't gonna happen and I'll continue to work on that with him. Some guarding behavior is nice if the need arises, but I'll not tolerate possessiveness at all...it's too dangerous, especially in a big, powerful breed.

He has great recall, even when on a hot scent that clearly excites him...takes him a few moments longer than Jake to respond to "come back" but he is able to be diverted. Will continue to work with him as time goes along but I can really see some independence and assertiveness showing up along with his scrotum size increase. :D

May be time to price a neutering. I'll put it off for as long as I can but I'm not going to let him injure Jake in the process. That old dog is too valuable to me.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ben sounds like he is progressing well. The leader role gets reshuffled as he gets more mature. Glad that is isn't a point of contention between him and Jake. Ben is the perfect dog for you!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Made the dogs a resting/lounging bench today out of scavenged lumber and the headboard of a broken bedstead that had been my son's. The headboard was tufted and cushioned slightly, so I figured it would make a soft place to lounge while still being not fluffy enough for Ben to chew up....I hope.

Made it sturdy enough for several humans to sit down as well, as we often sit down up at the shed during chores to have a chat and visit the dogs.

LL

Ben likes it!

LL

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got Ben's neutering scheduled for next week!!! :celebrate I'm sure he won't feel half as jubilant as I about it, but I feel it's definitely time. Should settle him down a little and make life between him and Jake a good bit better. He'll suddenly be able to think and hear much more clearly, I do believe. :D

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ben was neutered today and it went very well....all except the ride into town and back, which made him sick and made him also want to poop all over the back of my car. Fortunately it was dry and crumbly, so easily brushed out but the smell lingers...will be doing some major scrubbing there.

He was so very well behaved in the clinic, didn't pull at his leash and walked closer than close to my leg. Was sitting quietly in the pen when I said my good-byes and didn't whimper or whine once...just looked a little anxious, which is to be expected from a dog that hasn't left the homestead since he arrived at 2 mo. of age. They were impressed with how good he was...there was a GS dog there barking like mad and lunging at people walking by the pen, so that made calm and quiet Ben look like a saint. :D

He is acting much as if nothing at all happened to him....if I didn't know it had been done, I'd never know by looking at how he acts and moves. Of course, he's still runnin' on that pain med they gave him that's time released. :D I got him a huge basted pig bone for gnawing on and keeping him occupied....dog oughta have something as a consolation prize.

He weighs 83 lbs., which I imagine will be his average wt as an adult dog. Now he'll be able to think with his head instead of his hormones, so life will be a tad better for him and maybe even for us. Should also make life between him and Jake more harmonious as well.