THE FEED DOESN'T CONTAIN RUMENSIN!!!

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think I found proof that it's not approved for us in Goats in Canada and thus wouldn't be in our feed.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/feebet/mib/mib57e.shtml

This website is an official government website here stating that it is

Approved for use
In meal or pellet feed for broiler chickens, cattle and turkeys.
In thixotrope liquid supplements for cattle (RUMENSIN PREMIX and COBAN PREMIX only and must not be fed directly).

I'm hoping I'm correct!

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
GOOD NEWS, THE FEED DOES NOT CONTAIN RUMENSIN/MONENSIN.

I said I added the feedmill guy to facebook. He confirmed it doesn't contain Rumension but to stop feeding and switch to horse sweetfeed because the nosel on the feed equipment is not cleaned before making goat feed. He also said that since it's been 3 days not to worry. Toxicity would have shown up earlier.

I'm buying a bag of sweetfeed tomorrow for the mares, I will continue to watch them for the week, and we should be fine!

Yippee!

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Glad to hear all is good for you.

Just feed horse ration to horses
and goat ration to goats..LOL and you will be fine for sure.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I know but I was in a pinch and didn't really think about it. I knew somewhere in the back of my mind that our goat rations don't contain rumensin because it's not approved for use in goats here yet. I checked on the horses this morning and aside from looking rather windswept, they're both fine and perky.

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I know in a pinch --it happens to all of us at some point....LOL

worse for me was the horse eating the medicated cocci feed for my goats.
I didn't know he was getting into it and WOW the poison factor was awful....all was fine in the end but YIKES

so for me, when in doubt, don't do it....good old hay will hold any horse for a long time. It is us thinking they must have that grain at any cost is what gets us in trouble.

but I know...been there done that and yea, in a pinch we do what we have to do.

How many horses on the farm now?
Do you buy by the ton or just buy bags? Buying by the ton saves so much money and can get ya thru a long winter without worry of buying new feed etc.

of course being a farmer I buy by the ton all the time and I love the convenience of not ever having to pick up feed all the time.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have 2 mares, a pony who has to be on grain all year (2 cups a day in the summer of horse chow, and in the winter 2 cups of horse chow and 2 cups of 12% sweetfeed). The big mare is a youngen, 4 years, and never gets grain except for this winter because she's not wearing a blanket and with no shelter right now the grain is giving her a bit more energy and an active horse is a warm horse.

We don't have anywhere to store a ton of feed sadly, and not enough horses to make it worth buying a ton. Luna might go through a bag of feed in a month, or 1.5 months. Both of them are on roundbales.

Mylie isn't wearing a blanket because I still can't get close enough to her to do anything. I've been able to pet her and touch her back, but we're still working on it. I'm going to buy her a blanket just incase by some freak chance she decides I'm awesome and wants to wear a blanket. Luna wears a Midweight 220g polyfill, 600denier winter turnout blanket. I checked under her blanket today to make sure she wasn't sweating and boy she's nice and toasty. Like a radiator! I just about jumped her for that blanket. Soo chilly outside.

Silly horses though, I cracked open their water and put some hot water in it and they'd much rather eat snow -_-