The flies are horrendous!!!

Beach Chicken

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We are literally on a mission! We found these cool fly traps on facebook that "the ranch fly trap " is what they are called. Bought 6! Also made homemade fly traps til they come...had fly tapes already up and tried a bug zapper but the animals do not like the sound at all! So we havent used it much!
We bought Bug A Salts and they are really fun😂 they are little guns that shoot salt

MoreAU

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Here too, outside of Tulsa, the flies are a nightmare!

I use a pyrethin based pour-on for my cattle. It's 1% pyrethin and I got it at the local feed mill. There are several brands and it's also carried in Tractor Supply and Atwoods.

It works great for the bulk of the smaller size flies, which are horn flies I think. Not so much for the large, biting horse flies unless I happen to hit them directly while I'm spaying the cattle. I use a 1 gallon pump sprayer and I spray it on their backs, sides, and legs in a mist when they come up for evening feed. Some of the cattle are docile enough that I can get their faces with a rag soaked in it.

The bulk of the horse flies I kill by hand. I literally swat & crush them off the backs of the cattle with my hands. Again, I do it while their feeding. It took the cattle some getting used to, but they seem to like the smack of my hand more than the bite of the flies. There's also a lot they will put up with for a bowl of feed!

I've read about a style of fly trap that can get horse flies. I'm going to try and make one. If it works, I will post on it.

Good luck with your flies.

Last edited:

Nommie Bringeruvda Noms

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We use traps, and they work! I've got them inside the hen house, ymmv the run, in the foray barn, and out in the paddocks. I even have one out in the deck, too keep their numbers down, while we're trying to relax, socialize, and eat. We've found them at home depot, Walmart, and on Amazon.

BarnOwl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We use traps, and they work! I've got them inside the hen house, ymmv the run, in the foray barn, and out in the paddocks. I even have one out in the deck, too keep their numbers down, while we're trying to relax, socialize, and eat. We've found them at home depot, Walmart, and on Amazon.
Sorry if I’m being pushy, but do you have a link or know the name of the product? More flies than usual in our coop this week. Going to up my cleaning routine, but I thought I’d also try to find something online to help.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule , any idea of the tags would work as a necklace for goats? We've been getting a lot of cookie cutter bleeding bites from deer and horse flies.

The tags should work for goats too. I wouldn't hang them on a goat i was milking. Our Great Pyrenees had horrible sores on their noses from biting flies. Since i put a half of a cattle tag on their collar, no more flies biting them, their poor noses healed up. We have an old cremello gelding, pure white hair, pink skin, no pigment coloring. Flies tear him up. I hung one on his halter and it has reduced the flies considerably.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's going in my next tsc order then. I'm tired of seeing tiny predators dining on my goats (and goats HATE being sprayed with fly spray for some reason, lol).

The problem is, I want an ear tag too.

Goatsanddogs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
HELP!! The flies arw are terrible!! We have tried fly sprays and a bug zapper the sprays arent doing it!!!! My poor cows and horse are miserable. Halo please!!!!!!!
The sticky fly tape works if you have a place to hang it. Cheap. Also Avon's skin so soft original helps on the skin of cows, horses, dogs and chickens. Goats will smell good too.