The Grand Experiment

Hopalong Causually

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Bunnylady convinced me to give this doe one more chance. Other things on my mind are that: 1) she has great size that I would like to retain for future meat rabbits, 2) my other breeders are getting along in age and replacement of them in the herd is requiring consideration, 3) she is now past that first litter sacrificial phase, and 4) a buck from her to eventually replace my current breeder buck would be almost as good as a buck from her mother and my current buck. I bred her back to her sire again this morning getting four fall-offs in less than twenty-five minutes. But the pressure is on. This is definitely her last chance.

Hopalong Causually

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, today was day 31 and she was right on time. Unfortunately, she did nearly the exact same thing again. Kindled only two. She, again, failed to clean off the amniotic sack on one and it was dead when my eighth check of the day found it. The other one she nearly totally consumed. I'm now convinced that I wasted money on feeding her for the last 13 months and she will be culled from the herd. I'm also convinced that genetics can definitely be a factor in a doe's litter size. It is time for some management decisions.

Latest posts