The Low Down on Alpacas

cgjsmith

Just born
Reaction score
I was thinking about adding a few new animals to our little farm. I have babydoll sheep and a mini Nubian (I'm in the process of finding her a few friends. I'm thinking either nubians or nigerians or both.....seeing as mini nubians are a cross of the two :) I don't know anything about alpacas and am wanting to learn. babydolls aren't big headbutters and the goats would be in a different area. How are they feet wise? can I trim them or do they need someone to do it for them. are they fairly even tempered? I also have 5 kids with the youngest is 5 so I can't have tempermental animals. I want to start with Weathers to just have a few as pets I don't care if they are registered or not. What about feed are they copper intolerant like the sheep or hardy like the goats do they mainly forage in the summer and hey in the winter or do they need a grain suppliment? I thank ya;ll in advance for any info you can share. Crystal

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Alpacas are curious and usually pretty mellow. They usually aren't aggressive. They would rather run away from you. They have toenails kind of like goats but you only trim the toenail part. They are like sheep in that they shouldn't get as much copper as goats. Alpacas prefer to be out in the field grazing but you do need to offer hay. Grain depends on if they need it or not. Most geldings (wethers) don't need to be given grain. They do need to be shorn once a year. Heat stress is a concern with alpacas. You need to make sure they are shorn and have a way to get out of the sun and possibly in front of fan in the summer. Generally they are very easy to care for.

Whispering Winds

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
They are easy to care for. I have 18 and other than not being able to keep up with the poop piles they are just about the best mid sized animals to have. ALWAYS get them sheared, had a llama down the road from me die a couple of summers ago because they didn't believe in shearing, "its the way God made them." So, he died a horrible death. Its usually $25 and $5 for teeth and you can also get their nails done again if you are behind. I already am on the list for April or May this year. I feed mine pellets every day, sometimes I mix it with horse oats, which they love, and when its really cold I put some sweet feed in it too. I fill a 5 gallon bucket full and just give them a small dump in each feeder. They act like they haven't seen food for days, so be prepared. Hay will cost you if you don't have a good supplier, make friends with a farmer and get first on his list. I use an alfalfa grass mix and they are happy as can be with it. Monthly worming, although I do mine every other month. I think we become immune to things if we over use it, and have had no problems. GET A CHUTE, I don't have one and its hades on wheels sometimes to do their nails, or shots. Especially my one yearling boy. The Suri's are crazy too, but usually the rest of them are pretty good. :lol: I love them, have LOTS of fleece to be made into yarn, so need to find a good mill that can take care of that, and one that I can afford!!! Good luck with your choices, they are such sweet animals, and never try to break down the fence or anything. The males show off a lot to the girls, which is funny to watch, and they hum up a storm which I love to hear, so you really can't find too many things wrong with having some!! Finding a vet is tricky, but a lot of the stuff I am learning on my own.

dshappychicks

Just born
Reaction score
Whispering Winds said:
They are easy to care for. I have 18 and other than not being able to keep up with the poop piles they are just about the best mid sized animals to have. ALWAYS get them sheared, had a llama down the road from me die a couple of summers ago because they didn't believe in shearing, "its the way God made them." So, he died a horrible death. Its usually $25 and $5 for teeth and you can also get their nails done again if you are behind. I already am on the list for April or May this year. I feed mine pellets every day, sometimes I mix it with horse oats, which they love, and when its really cold I put some sweet feed in it too. I fill a 5 gallon bucket full and just give them a small dump in each feeder. They act like they haven't seen food for days, so be prepared. Hay will cost you if you don't have a good supplier, make friends with a farmer and get first on his list. I use an alfalfa grass mix and they are happy as can be with it. Monthly worming, although I do mine every other month. I think we become immune to things if we over use it, and have had no problems. GET A CHUTE, I don't have one and its hades on wheels sometimes to do their nails, or shots. Especially my one yearling boy. The Suri's are crazy too, but usually the rest of them are pretty good. :lol: I love them, have LOTS of fleece to be made into yarn, so need to find a good mill that can take care of that, and one that I can afford!!! Good luck with your choices, they are such sweet animals, and never try to break down the fence or anything. The males show off a lot to the girls, which is funny to watch, and they hum up a storm which I love to hear, so you really can't find too many things wrong with having some!! Finding a vet is tricky, but a lot of the stuff I am learning on my own.
How do you find a mill and are they expensive to use? We visited a farm in Indiana this past weekend. That is one question I didn't ask. He had socks, hats, scarves, gloves for sale made from his alpacas. We bought some socks and have worn them all weekend! love them!

Latest posts