The Lupin Farm Thread: Photos, Stories, Rambling..

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sigh, I got an email today from one of the families who bought one of our Mini Doodle puppies. His puppy had a seizure this evening and has been taken to the vets for observation. We're waiting to hear the updates, but as it stands, there is no way to "test" for seizure positive animals and thus the best we could do for him is offer our regards for his situation.

He did the right thing, if it turns out that Peaches is a carrier or produces puppies who have seizures/epilepsy (and one seizure does not mean epilepsy, this could have been caused by a food change, poisonous plants, etc.), we will be taking her to be fixed and she will become a pet and that is all.

Just worried eee!

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ziggy is still down, he is still at his owners vet's office under observation, he is unconcious and is now being treated for a secondary infection. The suddeness of his illness says to me poisoning, especially since he lives in Etobicoke where there have been cases of dogs being poisoned by anti-freeze and other poisons (Anti-freeze can show in seizures and unconciousness) and considering he is only 5 months old, he would be taken down faster by something so serious.

I forwarded an article about recent poisonings in Toronto, his vet is running blood tests and hopefully they can catch it early. The secondary infection could infact be Cocci because it will/can attack when a dog is already down with illness or severely stressed.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You will be remembered fondly Ziggy...

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about the dog. When you sell dogs, do you have them sign a contract? You could put in that contract that you aren't responsible for .......

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
So sorry to hear about the dog. When you sell dogs, do you have them sign a contract? You could put in that contract that you aren't responsible for .......
We sell with a 2 year health guarantee, it doesn't include seizures. We called Julio, and my mom said he was in tears. They really want another puppy, but we don't have any litters right now (not until the spring) so my mom said that they should wait until then, and see if they still feel like they want another puppy because another puppy is not going to replace Ziggy (he was like... their life), and if they should decide at the time that they do want another puppy, then to call her and she can arrange something for them.

The vet still doesn't know what it was! ... I personally think he was poisoned.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
How did the other people manage to get a settlement from you when their own kids killed the dog? I would think a judge would just throw out the case! So even in Canada people manage to win when they shouldn't?:rolleyes:

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Pretttttty much. They didn't get as much as they wanted, and the judge made sure to state that it was not because my mum was required to pay them, but because she was doing it out of the kindness of her heart (okay, so she kind of was required to do it).

For a puppy that they paid $400 for, they got in the end about $1400

They wanted my mum under housearrest with an ankle bracelet because she might go "back to her home country", my mum is from England... The judge found that hilarious considering the people were Greek ex-pats.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I'm suprised they got that much. I know in Ohio people wouldn't get more than they paid for the dog. The court system sees animals as property and you won't get more than you paid and you have to have proof of what you paid.

That is a shame. Hopefully the people with Ziggy will just be happy with getting a puppy next year.

Blackbird

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Two YEAR health guarantee? The puppy business must be a dog eat dog world!

Latest posts