The Lupin Farm Thread: Photos, Stories, Rambling..

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yep, 2 year, a lot of purebred breeders will give you a 24 hour health guarantee, but what does that really say about you and your breeding pracitices? It almost declares "my puppies are unhealthy!"

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
About 10-12 years ago my sister got pure breed German Shepherds and the breeder guaranteed their hips. My sister had to get an xray done at a certain age (something like age 2) to see how the hips were. Both dogs ended up with good hips. Not sure how the breeders do it now though.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah, most guarantees are for hip displaysia and retinal displaysia which are the two most common in dogs (mostly in large breeds, might I add). We guarantee against both for 2 years because at 2 years is when the dog can be tested (and it costs a huge amount of money to test btw). Our dogs haven't been tested themselves, but have had vet tests which have come back clean. Quesa is CKC registered so she is guaranteed against it from her breeder, Peaches is not CKC registered, but is from a CKC registered kennel, Kitty is not CKC registered but both her parents were (we bought her at a native reserve in Saskatchewan, she is of unusual colouring... a toy red parti poodle), and Nacho can't be registered since he is a F1 Mini Labradoodle.

pebbles

Just born
Reaction score
I adopted Ziggy from "lupinfarm's" parents. I was surprised to see her topic about "Ziggy died" while I was googling. We feel the pain of losing a wonderful dog. We also see the Lupin's concern about the cause of the puppy's death.
The Lupins are nice people. They are sincere and were genuinely concerned about the dogs condition. I believe them and they had nothing to hide. They were accomodating but behind all this, I didn't know they were stressed about getting sued. The stress is unnecessary.We are not suing......in fact we are going to adopt another dog from them!!!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Good to hear. I'm glad there are no hard feelings. Sometimes things just happen and there is no way to know it or stop it. Sounds like this will be a happy ending. :D

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
pebbles said:
I adopted Ziggy from "lupinfarm's" parents. I was surprised to see her topic about "Ziggy died" while I was googling. We feel the pain of losing a wonderful dog. We also see the Lupin's concern about the cause of the puppy's death.
The Lupins are nice people. They are sincere and were genuinely concerned about the dogs condition. I believe them and they had nothing to hide. They were accomodating but behind all this, I didn't know they were stressed about getting sued. The stress is unnecessary.We are not suing......in fact we are going to adopt another dog from them!!!
Wow, Hi! ... I should say, you and your family are more than welcome to come over at any time before any of our other litters are due. You can meet the dogs, and get a better idea of where your puppy comes from too :)

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
WELL, the last week has been good. Its been kind of crazy-insane here lately. Recently we had our neighbour come by to bale and take our alfalfa for his cows. He noticed we had a bunch of old hay from last year hanging outside the barn ready to go to the compost pile and asked if he could have it for the cows, so, being that we're on 8 acres and getting rid of it without the place looking gross is difficult, we said of course! In return he has offered to drill some post holes for us with his nice and sharp auger, as well as plough up our top fields and help us seed it with pasture seed for the horses/goats. He is also going to bushhog the driveway sides for us.

I finally got around to putting a new light fixture in my brothers bedroom, but when I got his fan down I realized it was a big beyond my skill level (3-wire wiring, but I couldn't figure out which one was the switch) so I actually text messaged my neighbours son (same neighbour as the alfalfa) who is in school to be an electrician. He came over before classes and put my light up and changed my light switch! The light looks great, and most importantly I didn't kill myself!!

In not so awesome news, I sliced my finger open! I was doing the electric fencing for the fenceline that butts up against Jim's land and I was rolling the roll of poly rope out and I dropped it. The plastic roll sliced open my finger on my left hand in 2 places and it kills!

Aside from that though, things are finally getting done. Quesa is going to be bred soon, the ducks and chicks will be coming up for point of lay, the goat house has floorboards (and by the end of the month hopefully should be framed in). The picket fence is almost done, and I'm planting my daffodils for the spring.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've been busily working on updating our farm website, I have changed the layout and 'theme' of the website and IMO, it's looking a bit more professional and sorted out.

www.lupinfarm.com