The Muslim approach to slaughtering goats

AnamArtin

Reaction score
according to Jewish law, you cannot eat the animal if it was injured, that includes putting a bullet in it's head to stun it.
wow- really? i never read or better known any of Jewish laws for now.. better read it for it must be sort of interesting stuff..

FarmGuru

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi
I am from Pakistan and Muslim and living in a non Muslim country for period. But we have Halal certification body here. As far as you are completing guidelines of Halal body most of the Muslims dont have any problem.

No coming to slaughter point of view I cant explain on this forum as it is not religious forum. But for people who dont have idea, We only allowed to consume food which is prepared on only one God we Say Allah. So point is if a non muslim who may be atheist or believe in more than one gods slaghuter an animal on Allah's name. It is very difficult to believe on the thought process. That is why most muslim prefer to eat muslim slaughter meat. So in essence it is not a mechanical process but there is a spiritual/religious dimensions is in it

I hope my comments dont offend any one

Q

Buster said:
So since I am considering raising goats for meat, I thought it might be a good idea if I found out whether or not I could do the processing. Physically I know I can, but I want to make sure I can muster the gumption to do what is necessary. A few weeks ago a BYC friend worked with me on processing some roosters, and I found it was a snap. So it occurred to me it might be a good idea to do the same thing with goats.

A colleague of mine is from Pakistan and is of the Muslim faith. He grew up farming back home, and one of his favorite meats is goat meat. He goes to a local farm, buys the goat, and slaughters it there himself. He has offered to let me help him next time he goes so I can get an idea about what it is all about.

One reason he slaughters his own is because he is very devout, and believes the animal must be killed by someone of the Muslim faith, at least as I understand it. Part of the reason for this is there are very particular steps that must be taken in order for the slaughter to be considered a clean one.

Here's my question.

I know the killing has to be done a certain way. When I do it at my home I plan on using a gun, so that's unimportant. I don't need to know how to do that. But is there anything else specific anyone can think of that makes the process different? In other words, is the opportunity he is giving me going to be of practical use for a backyard operation?

A bit obscure, I realize, but in case someone here is familiar with the issue.

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you :)

I think any information you give on the process would be welcome. Especially as to how those of us that are non-Muslim can better assist and serve our Muslim customers. I think many of us would like to better explore the process and be better informed but haven't directly asked anyone for risk of offending. I personally would no more go up to random Jewish person and ask if they can show me how to do Kosher butchering. I do hope that since you opened the door by providing some information you might be willing to further explain.

And Mods please advise if we tread in murky waters. It is a religious topic but also about processing. I would hope that all involved in the discussion can keep it clean or keep to themselves.

FarmGuru

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
1 thing i can suggest if u are dealing with 1 or 2 odd customers , you can ask them to slaughter themselves and then u can process. However if u have big business you can hire a part time person to do the ritual.

SuburbanFarmChic said:
Thank you :)

I think any information you give on the process would be welcome. Especially as to how those of us that are non-Muslim can better assist and serve our Muslim customers. I think many of us would like to better explore the process and be better informed but haven't directly asked anyone for risk of offending. I personally would no more go up to random Jewish person and ask if they can show me how to do Kosher butchering. I do hope that since you opened the door by providing some information you might be willing to further explain.

And Mods please advise if we tread in murky waters. It is a religious topic but also about processing. I would hope that all involved in the discussion can keep it clean or keep to themselves.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had a gentlemen come to our farm several times and slaughter himself since they had to make sure the animal was properly bled out and blessed. It was interesting. the only thing that he really did that kind of bothered me, is apparrantly refridgeration must not be as important to him and he left that meat sit out way longer than I ever would in a warm day.

I would have liked to have worked with him longer, but I had a problem with him not respecting me as a female, as far as, he was interested in me. I explained a couple times I was married, ect..... I tried getting him to come over on weekends when my husband was home and he wouldn't, so I told him we would no longer offer a place to butcher on our farm, we weren't interested in the mess.

It is too bad, he had some good connections in the Washington DC area, where there are a lot of people looking for goat meat. He said, our goat meat was delicious, some of the best he and his friends had ever had.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
SuburbanFarmChic said:
In this case the 2 are hand in hand. Understanding the reasons behind the method would not be against the rules.

abubakar4u2003

Just born
Reaction score
Very interesting topic here. I am a Muslim and was going through the thread and found only one Muslim guy responded to the thread. Term "Halal" comprises of two parts. First is the spiritual which means speaking out loud "In the name of God, God is the greatest" while slaughtering the animal and second consists of using a sharp knife to bleed the animal to death (by throat only). It applies to both birds and cattle. You have to use a sharp knife and cut the animal's throat to the extent that it doesn't damage the spinal cord. What it does is only the veins are cut and heart is still pumping which makes most of the blood flow out of the body (which is the purpose of doing this). You are not allowed to chop the head off or damage the spinal cord as heart will stop pumping and blood will stay inside the body. That's what Halal means. As simple as that. Any Christian or Jew, if follows this procedure can product Halal meat for Muslims. It doesn't has to be a Muslim necessarily, but can't be a guy from another religion (apart from Muslim, Christian or Jew).
I can tell you people are making lots of money on Muslim festivals by providing goats. I live in Houston, TX where there is a big Muslim market available to butchers and I see them making lots of money on such festivals. You can sell upto 500 animals in a single day on such festival and still leave lots of customers unattended.

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the information. I love learning about the customs, beliefs and thoughts of different religions. So glad you found us and helped us understand the process better.:)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
abubakar4u2003 - Thank you for that valuable information. And Welcome to BYH!