The mystery of Bonnie

Marykat1982

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to goats. I bought a doe and a buck as a couple but have them separated since I got them 2 weeks ago. I was told the girl was almost certainly pregnant but no idea of when she was bred and that it could be any day or months. She's had discharge for the last 12 days. Udder doesn't appear to be forming to me. It's a little pouchy and nipples are elongated. I was told she had twins last year. Trying to wait it out and see if it's just heat but a little worried about an unexpected kidding. Pics are in order up to today.
IMG_2704.JPG
IMG_2768.JPG
IMG_2785.JPG
IMG_2787.JPG
IMG_2788.JPG

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Usually when they are in heat you will see discharge for a day...maybe two. and sometimes never. They come into heat every 18-21 days and stay in heat for about 24-48 hours depending on the goat. They can have discharge a few weeks before kidding when they loose their mucous plug but that udder doesn't look ready at all, I would expect it to be bigger than that by now.

Is the goat a Nigerian Dwarf? how old? And this is her first time having kids? Assuming that the other goat is a buck if she is in heat he would let you know.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Hey there @Marykat1982 Greetings and welcome to BYH. From the pic looking down from above, she looks pregnant. How much pregnant? very good question! :idunno There's quite a lot of information and experience shared in the various kidding journals on here. Many before you have asked the same questions! Looks like you have some time to go yet so browse around and ask questions when they arise. Make yourself at home! Oh, and thanks for sharing the pics (some from a different perspective would also be nice ;):lol:). Since she had twins last time, maybe you'll get lucky and she'll have twins again. :fl

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH! Definitely a pre-delivery discharge, could be days or weeks. Many of my previous does did not develop their utter until delivery. One didn't develop a very large one at all even after delivery and she had twins. She did an excellent job as a mother and no problem nursing both.

This is so you might understand that each doe is different and each pregnancy can be different for each doe. Though most does usually show the same signs year after year, but not always.

I would definitely say you are expecting a little one or two, can't help you with when.

I just got to does that have been exposed to a buck all of this past summer/Fall. I know for sure he got one just before we got her, not sure on the other. Always so much nicer and easier when you have a date they where bred.

Good luck, read as much as you can and still always ask questions.

Marykat1982

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Usually when they are in heat you will see discharge for a day...maybe two. and sometimes never. They come into heat every 18-21 days and stay in heat for about 24-48 hours depending on the goat. They can have discharge a few weeks before kidding when they loose their mucous plug but that udder doesn't look ready at all, I would expect it to be bigger than that by now.

Is the goat a Nigerian Dwarf? how old? And this is her first time having kids? Assuming that the other goat is a buck if she is in heat he would let you know.
I agree about the udder and she shows no interest in the male. She was sold to me as a Pygmy but she has blue eyes.

Marykat1982

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH! Definitely a pre-delivery discharge, could be days or weeks. Many of my previous does did not develop their utter until delivery. One didn't develop a very large one at all even after delivery and she had twins. She did an excellent job as a mother and no problem nursing both.

This is so you might understand that each doe is different and each pregnancy can be different for each doe. Though most does usually show the same signs year after year, but not always.

I would definitely say you are expecting a little one or two, can't help you with when.

I just got to does that have been exposed to a buck all of this past summer/Fall. I know for sure he got one just before we got her, not sure on the other. Always so much nicer and easier when you have a date they where bred.

Good luck, read as much as you can and still always ask questions.
Thank you so much and good luck to you also. Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I was wondering about the udder thing.

Marykat1982

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey there @Marykat1982 Greetings and welcome to BYH. From the pic looking down from above, she looks pregnant. How much pregnant? very good question! :idunno There's quite a lot of information and experience shared in the various kidding journals on here. Many before you have asked the same questions! Looks like you have some time to go yet so browse around and ask questions when they arise. Make yourself at home! Oh, and thanks for sharing the pics (some from a different perspective would also be nice ;):lol:). Since she had twins last time, maybe you'll get lucky and she'll have twins again. :fl
Thank you so much for the welcome! I can't wait to learn more. I'm hoping for twins. Dang I'm hoping she's actually pregnant.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
If the male isn't interested in her she is probably bred and that is quite a bit of discharge for heat. I often don't see any. I can't tell you if pygmies can have blue eyes but I know the nigis can so maybe she is mix?

Marykat1982

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If the male isn't interested in her she is probably bred and that is quite a bit of discharge for heat. I often don't see any. I can't tell you if pygmies can have blue eyes but I know the nigis can so maybe she is mix?
I agree she's probably a mix.

Eteda

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
some vets can ultrasound her to see if she is pregnant if she is so many weeks along. also a blood test can be done too for pregnancy. usually most people watch her reaction to the buck it is cheaper. though it takes longer. until she starts coming in heat she may not show much interest in the buck. my friend has an hand ultrasound thingy his uncle gave him for using on his goats. he used it on the pigs he was raising. It worked on my sheep too. You might find a local farmer that has one you could take the goat to and let him scan her belly when you know she is far enough along for it to detect a fetus. :welcome