The non-USDA approved thread of animal husbandry...tell us your ideas!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Due to the rising cost of animal husbandry and also the increased awareness of food safety and the harmful effects of chemicals in our food supplies.....there are those who choose to raise our animals a little more naturally. We are attempting to get away from the current industry standard that follows USDA approved diets and health regimens geared towards CAFO type operations.

As a wonderful side effect of using these alternative methods, we are finding that it is also more cost effective for the small homesteader or backyard herdsman.

This is a thread for information about these alternative methods and for folks to showcase their backyard herds. We would like to share any ideas you have about natural and even organic methods you are using to maintain herd health. We like pics and stories about what works for you and what you have tried that didn't seem to work.

Although we welcome debates geared towards increasing knowledge, I ask that you please keep comments constructive and friendly. :)

Alright, folks....share those stories, ideas, and pics, will ya? :thumbsup

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Well, I don't have sheepies, but I do have goaties! And chickens, turkeys, guineas, two cats and a dog.....and I prepare all their food myself as much as possible. With the support of a very cool small animal vet who actually had me come and teach a class to her clients on feeding their dogs and cats.

So where shall I begin.....hmmm....my love for whole grains! All my grain-eating critters get whole grains. I keep galvanized trash cans of whole corn, oats, barley, and sunflower seeds.

Once a grain is ground, rolled, cracked, etc, it begins to go rancid. Ask anyone who grinds their own wheat for flour if you can do a sniff test....take a big sniff of the whole wheat flour you buy in the store, and then take a sniff of freshly ground wheat, still warm from the grinding process. It is like they are completely different foods. The rancid store-bought flour (even the fresher flours from places like Whole Foods) is disgusting compared to the lovely and wholesome smell of the good stuff. The nose knows!

So, in spite of being told over and over that I would kill my chickens, they started getting whole grains. Now everyone does. I was told, when I countered with the number of years I'd been feeding whole grains and my flock was still around, that production is way down. Nope. Sorry. You need to research studies from other countries, countries without a USDA. The USDA's job is to find markets for agricultural products.....read, "corn, soy, and other grains." They are not the keepers of our health, that is not their job.

I began lactofermenting the grains to address my concerns about anti-nutrients, especially problematic at those times when the variety of grains available to me was limited to only two, usually corn and oats. This process is simple and increases the bio-availability of the nutrients in the foods, and actually can INCREASE certain nutrients. It also adds live probiotics, which aid in digestive tract health.

Going through the trouble to do this has made a huge difference, especially for those animals who are in crisis for whatever reason. And it literally adds no more than two minutes to my daily routine. If I am in a slow mood. A very slow mood.

For this week's picture of some of my healthy critters, see post # 9 of http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3137&p=1

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Free, I must admit that I don't know much about lactofermenting. Do you mean sprouted grains? I have read up on that and I find that this is the ideal way to make whole grains more nutritious and to stretch your food bill at the same time.

Your goats and other animals are lovely and in great condition, I might add!

I have only scratched the surface of alternative methods of feeding but I'm very into all-natural de-worming methods, as well as probiotics available in simple ways. I don't think I would ever purchase probiotics when one can make their own at home for animals.

I also am implementing alternative nutrition to grains for livestock, such as rotational intensive grazing` ala Salatin style, the use of mangles (a type of sugar beet), having offspring in the early spring when the grass is at it's most nutritive to provide for proper "flushing" without using commercial feeds, etc.

I also like to incorporate many food sources into the diets of my sheep, calves and chickens...also the dogs and chickens.

In nature, an animal usually has several types and varieties of nutritional sources. I find that the diet designed by the good Lord for these animals is more appropriate and will keep them healthier than any we humans can concoct. In our arrogance, we think we've built a better mouse trap with formulated feeds and supplements.

I understand, since our animals are somewhat confined to one area, those varieties of foods are no longer available to them and they cannot forage appropriately. But, I still like to try and mimic that more natural diet when I can.

I free range my chickens, the dogs have sources of raw meat and fresh fruits and veggies whenever they want, my cats get to hunt at their leisure, and the sheep and calf also get all the fruits and veggies they want to supplement their graze.

Anyone else trying to offer a more natural diet to their livestock and other animals?

Blackbird

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Todays processed, chemical induced, and manmade food has not benefitted any animal. Many, many years ago todays animals would have been on clean land, open spaces, fresh forage as they wanted, natural streams and fresh water, not even having to even step on any kind of feces. They did what they wanted and how they wanted. Worms, coccidiosis, parasites, and the like didn't happen as much because most animals had strong immune systems to fight those things off. Strong immune systems because of the benefits of the natural earth, the cleanliness of the world, fresh grasses, waters and plants. Back then natural selection went into play for those who couldn't keep up. A vast variety of medicinal plants grew all over, the animals knew what they needed, what nutrients, what plant might be beneficial, etc. Why are a some animal's heat cycles typically in the fall, to give birth in harsh and sometimes extreme weather? So only the strong live.

Then we come along and ruin everything. :p First people begin to raise the animals, seemed logical, fresh meat, eggs, milk, hides, fiber, etc could all be obtainable in your own yard, no need to go out and hunt and gather, etc. As greed goes, people wanted more. Not everyone had time to raise their own animals, they started to live in cities that started forming, wanted more money, and the like, but still needed to eat. Naturally it would be a good idea for people to sell their products and produce.

Populations boom, more people need more food in less space. Animals are confined to smaller areas, unkept and poor conditions. More parasites and diseases spread easier and faster. Animals are selectivly bred for higher yields, grains and crops are grown to fatten up these animals and make them produce. More and more and more. Man's medicine comes into play to treat all these new problems. Medicines that weaken as well as destroy bad and good. More and new grains are created and produced (new varieties of corn, soy, the like) that can be potentially harmful in the long run.

Eventually we come to what we have now. Mass markets, fast paced mainsteam foods, little care and a whole lot of fillers. History has proved that. Heh, maybe I'm full of it, probably am, but thats my opinion of it all.

And those are all the reasons that I, personally, prefer more natural, safer, and healthier methods of animal husbandry. Safer for animals, people, and the world. I've been told I raise my animals 'wrong', but so be it then. My animals are happy and healthy. Whats so wrong?

:hide

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've seen the pics of your goats, BB. They are simply beautiful! Can you post a few pics of them on this thread so we can get an idea of how an animal looks using your methods?

Here are my sheep raised mostly on pasture, with veggies and fruits mixed in for good measure. They will be receiving hay and other roughage this winter, along with the occasional sprouted whole grains, winter squash, pumpkins (a natural anti-helminic), apples and salad scraps.

I only use Shaklees soap for an intentional dewormer agent and coat conditioner. I use kelp meal and coarse salt for loose minerals, free choice. I also will be adding unpasteurized ACV to their water after I make my own this fall.

The UP ACV is also being used to condition coats, boost immune systems and to help produce higher percentages of female offspring.

I chose a breed that is an efficient forager and parasite/disease resistant. They also shed their wool in the spring/summer months and do not require shearing. Because they are not wool producing, they have less lanolin in their wool. Also, more of their nutrients go into meat production than in growing wool.

I hope to cull for good mothering, efficient feed use (staying in good condition on graze), multiple and easy births and milk production. These are not a milk breed but it stands to reason that a ewe that produces more milk has bigger, healthier babies that grow more quickly.

These were purchased as weanlings at just barely 4 months and they are now just barely 7 mo. They are Katahdin/St. Croix cross ewes and will be bred back to a St. Croix buck in December. They are now breeding age at 7 mo. but I prefer not to breed them this young.

5_the_bettys.jpg

chicken fruit

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I think the best investment people can make in their stock is to stay with heritage breeds, or animals who lineage can be tracked and the long term health of the parents and such can be verified. So much has been lost in our cattle especially, but in all stock animals as they were augmented and bred for greater production rates.

Beyond that, keeping stock in an environment that is keeping with their natural habitat will further help to ward off disease and infection. Aside from wormer and parasite control there is little in the way of chemicals that any animal requires, and truly even less intervention needed by their farmer to keep them healthy. Farm the land, and keep the land healthy, and it will take care of the animals for you. Thats what we say in my family.

Animals belong on ground, in grass, foraging.

The modernization of the family farm was not intended by our government to drive them out of business, sadly though thats exactly what it has done over these 50+ years since its implementation. And we as a nation have sacrificed so much in the way of our health and food quality- even our fresh vegetables contain trace amounts of toxic chemicals.

There are MANY animal husbandry handbooks from the turn of the century which are invaluable to a modern homesteader/organic farmer, even if you have to pay an antique dealer for them theyre still worth the investment!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree, Chicken Fruit! Welcome to the forum! :) Some times the old ways are the best ways and they shouldn't have been abandoned so readily. As with anything else the government "helped" with, farming has slowly deteriorated into something that isn't good for human or animal, it's just there.

Fully automated and cardboard to the extreme....the meat doesn't taste good, the milk doesn't taste good, the produce doesn't even taste as good. How one can ruin something provided by nature is beyond me, but they have managed to do so in their efforts to "improve" our animal husbandry and other farming techniques.

My grandma used to give her old dishwater to her pigs and chickens and I never knew why. She always said it was good for them. Little did she know that it really was....she was using a surfactant to de-worm her animals. All she knew is that her mama did it and her grandma did it. MY mother did it and now I do it.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Chicken Fruit, sometimes these old books can be found online for free!

Quail

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well, I guess I don't make it over here much anymore, but I'm thrilled to see this thread!

We took in a pony, named Emmy, a couple months back. Her coat was dull and she wasn't friendly at all. She's on 100% pasture. That's it. We don't supplement her feed, and we've not medicated her at all. We did have her hooves cleaned and trimmed.

She was still shedding her winter coat when we got her, and we were already well into June! Since shedding her coat, she's turned into this glossy gal! She's filled out nice, and is even getting friendlier towards us. When we walk by, she is now running to the fence and expecting us to pat her neck or run our fingers through her mane.

We also have two calves. They were purchased back in February/March of this year. One was a bottle baby, the other a just weaned feeder. They are on 100% pasture/grass fed as well. I can already taste them melting in my mouth! YUMM-O. We do give them some grain, just 1 cup of grain each, in the evenings as a treat, but NOT as a supplement. It's a training process. We have them so tame that if they were to get out, and Chase has, they are used to getting their 1 cup of grain at the same time every day so even if they're out, they come back of their own accord for that 1 cup of grain. They're very nicely filled out on their grass, and they aren't medicated either. Except Chase was on medicine early on for scours, but that was it. Since his recovery, we've not medicated them for anything else.

My chickens free range during the day. They get lots of bugs, grass, seeds, berries, etc. I also give them yogurt, cottage cheese, and I mix flockraiser with black oil sunflower seeds, corn, and rolled oats. They get the occassional scratch mix, too. My chickens have not been vaccinated, and the only time I've ever had a truly sick chicken was when I purchased a batch of chicks from a private breeder. Those chicks were all culled out, and thankfully never introduced to the rest of my flock since I practice quarantine measures. Very hard to put down a baby animal of any kind, but it was necessary to preserve my flock as the poultry on our small farm is a big source of income for us.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Or at yard sales and book sales at your local library. I found a wonderful livestock book that has wonderful breed pics and such of all kinds of livestock and info about each one. Unfortunately, its from the late 40's/early 50's, when the government was JUST starting to chime in on feed...especially feeding corn and using feedlots to improve yield.

So....BB? When will we see your goat pics on here?? :)

Latest posts