The non-USDA approved thread of animal husbandry...tell us your ideas!

offdagridsoon

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have no sheep yet (can't wait for next year!), but I will be well-prepared with threads like this to read. It really is a wealth of information and ideas!

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
:welcome Have you discovered the sister site yet, SufficientSelf? Link at bottom of this page!

offdagridsoon

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have! :D Subscribed to that forum within 5 minutes of this one, actually. :lol:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
On the mangel beets, is there a preferred variety? The site I buy my seed from, www.rareseeds.com has several mangels to choose from. I was wondering what particular beet seeds have been planted and what the results were. I buy the dried shreds from the feed store for my horses and they eat them like candy. I want to plant some in the spring for a next winter feed supplement.

Also, can anyone be more specific on the soap in the water for worming? I would like to try it for my chickens.

Thanks for all this information. This thread is great.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I bought....um....Eckeldorf Gold and something Red??? from rhshumway.com. I favor the red only because I like to have a variety of colors in my own food and the goats get plenty of pumpkins (farm next door lets me take the leftovers after the holiday sales) and carrot peels, so I figured on red for the beets. :D This is my third year planting them, and it looks like it will be the first year I actually get some roots. The girls had some beet greens the last two years....we had cold rain-rain-rain here and I had no root crops at all. Meanwhile, I do feed beet pulp shreds, too, but it is a waste product from the sugar beet industry so I'm sure the fresh beets will be SOOO much better for them.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lucky you to get all those pumpkins! I have to travel the country trying to buy people's left over pumpkins. For some reason they would rather they rot on their porches than give them away after the holiday seasons...... :rolleyes:

I found that my gals love the pumpkins even more if they have been frozen and thawed and starting to ferment. Funny, huh, Free....how much animals love that "rotten" food? :lol:

Latest posts