the poops because of alfalfa pellets

bj taylor

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I've overdone it & my girls are paying the price. I thought I had kept it to a manageable pace for introducing the pellets but they have developed diarrhea. I've got minerals available, baking soda & I am backing off the pellets. how else can I help them?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
WhiteMountainsRanch said:
Yep take away everything but they hay and reintroduce the pellets more slowly. You can also give probiotics, that helps a lot.
x2 Give 3x the probiotic dose.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:ep I would NOT give any more alfalfa pellets for 2 weeks after you get their diarrhea resolved. Make sure they have fresh clean water available at all times. It wouldn't hurt to add some electrolytes to their water like Pedialyte for children or there is a commercial packet of powdered electrolyte that can be added to their water. Discontinue any feed and give free choice grass hay and possibly a good probiotic paste like Probios. I always keep some generic Pepto or "Pink Bismuth" from the animal supply store and give per the labeling until I see goat pellets again. This is what we have in our protocol for the treatment of diarrhea or scours at Calfee Farms. If the scours last for longer than a few days, I would seek the advice of your local small ruminant vet as this could be a viral or bacterial or internal parasite problem. Good luck!