The Price You Pay for Removing a Pup Prematurely from it's Mother and Litter

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I got my first LGD at around six months old, maybe a little older. My newest pup is just 18 weeks and I actually feel that is REALLY young (compared to Alex's 6 months). George, the new puppy, is still so very much a puppy. I can't imagine taking a LGD puppy at only 8 weeks, let alone LESS than that!

Having George a little younger does have its advantages. For instance, Alex was big when we brought him home and he was able to rough up my young goats quite a bit, he was also strong enough to break out of just about any pen I put him in that wasn't electrified. He also killed a few chickens at first. We went through a lot of growing pains when Alex was in his "teenage" phase, but he turned out to be an AWESOME dog in the long run.

Not saying I won't have those issues with George, but it is nice that he's small and easy to handle. I don't have any baby goats this time around and I've got geese to teach him to respect poultry. He's been zapped by the fence once and will not go anywhere near it now, let alone attempt to challenge his boundaries.

But George is no where near ready to start protecting his herd where as Alex was on duty by the time I got him. He knew his job where George is still figuring things out and has a lot to learn. Alex was also 3/4 Karakachan and they tend to mature faster, where George is only 1/2 Karakachan 1/2 Great Pyr so only time will tell as to how he will mature?

But I wouldn't have the slightest idea what to do with an 8 week old or younger LGD pup? They learn so much from their parents and littermates that can't be taught by humans. I have a friend who breed lapdogs (Bichons) and even she doesn't let her's go until 10 weeks due to the much needed interactions from mother and the rest of the litter.

BrendaMNgri

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
In this era of burgeoning "fake news" it just sickens me that the fake stuff is also permeating the LGD world. And that someone the supposed calibre of this "LGD expert" woman who brought over those two tiny 6 week old pups, speaks volumes to me about what she really is about. Like I say in my blog post it is not pretty. It is an issue of integrity. In my book she flunks it big. But then in promoting her latest book, I also had an online ag site that I'd never heard of before, come across my news feed - they were reviewing her latest LGD book with the typical hand licking gushing pap - and in the review they are saying she claims she runs 24 LGDs. That is not true; she only runs a handful of dogs, she does not run 24 LGDs. So I guess in the ongoing rabid pursuit of her own self promotion we're stooping to new lows now trying to make out we are more than we are…shame on her. "Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining…." :smack There is a ton of this going on; I regularly gain enemies for calling people out on the carpet over lies, exaggerations, stupid stuff - dang if you can't pull yourself up by your own bootstraps on your own merits, at least don't fake who and what you are just to make a reputation….:rant

Last edited by a moderator: