The probability a sow will have a big litter

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's illegal to sell pork cuts here directly off the farm unless it is butchered at a USDA inspected slaughterhouse so we sell live pigs and take them to the butcher for the buyer. Then the butcher wraps them as the buyer requests and the buyer picks up their pork. We get paid by hanging weight usually but sell on live weight sometimes. They also have the option to buy the pig and take it home to butcher if thats what they want, those are the ones we generally sell on live weight but most people dont wanna see the pig alive they just wanna get it in nice white packages at the end.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah we can sell some direct from the farm non USDA, but most people sell by hanging weight and drop off at the butcher. Often non USDA, because it's a long drive to find one that is. I personally don't want the liability of butchering for other people.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
USDA is only for selling pork cuts, like if we had a pig butchered and wanted to sell pork cuts at the farmers market or to a restaurant or wholesale cuts. We can use any butcher for dropping off live pigs to sell by hang weight.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gotcha. We can sell cuts from the farm but not at farmers markets, etc. From what I understand. I know more about selling chickens because we sold meat birds for a while.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gotcha. We can sell cuts from the farm but not at farmers markets, etc. From what I understand. I know more about selling chickens because we sold meat birds for a while.

I dont wanna run away with the thread but here we can only sell butchered poultry and small game off the farm legally...all other meat has to be taken to a butcher live, sold live, or USDA butchered.

Mikethepigman

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Here in Ohio there is a loop hole.. and some cases it works for both party's. If I sell you the butcher ready pig, I must have cash in hand before you kill on my property.this works when a Russian guy in a Cadillac stops and wants a pig.... No trailer for it to be live... And no appointment for butchering... Nice guy he was. Took us and the oldest son to load up, but Ive never been one to pass up a pig sale. Kinda in the pig selling business. Lol

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here in Ohio there is a loop hole.. and some cases it works for both party's. If I sell you the butcher ready pig, I must have cash in hand before you kill on my property.this works when a Russian guy in a Cadillac stops and wants a pig.... No trailer for it to be live... And no appointment for butchering... Nice guy he was. Took us and the oldest son to load up, but Ive never been one to pass up a pig sale. Kinda in the pig selling business. Lol

We have something similar here in fact they could butcher the whole pig out on our property once it's paid for, not that we would be totally in favor of it lol. As soon as they pay for the pig they own it and they can butcher it anyplace they like...within reason.

Mikethepigman

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have turned down ppl wanting to kill a goat or something as soon as they bought. Idk I guess with pigs it's different. I understand all folks want different meats but somethings I'm just not gonna allow.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have had different requests. One family wanted to perform a halal butcher on our property on a goat and i had to decline. While i am not against halal butcher when done correctly i could not watch it/hear it. Another person brought a car to get a butcher goat and wanted to know if i would be offended if he shot the goat before he loaded it, i told him no i didnt mind in fact DH would shoot the goat for him. So DH shot it and helped the guy load it up. I dont have a problem with any butcher animals being shot on our property esp if DH does it cause i know it was done right and quickly.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
My husband would never let anyone shoot an animal on our property. He would, however, do it for them. He doesn't trust anyone to do it the right way. Also, say they shoot the animal and it doesn't go down but attacks them, they could sue us for damages... Just not a good plan.