The Resilience of Sheep

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. As a sheep newbie, they never fail to amaze me.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are tough at times and at others seem to die out of the blue being a prey species (don't show their illnesses until late).

Your little ewe is a star, puplequeen....and so are you for your persistence.

Just been through a similar event with Popeye, my one eyed ram,other eye destroyed in an attack by another ram. He has had a weeping abscess on his cheek for over 3 months which has slowly but surely healed and will live to father many more lambs with a bit of luck.

Some species seem to be very 'tender'. Our vet says sheep are animals which lie around in fields waiting to die. Another local saying is that when you buy a Blue Faced Leicester it comes with a free spade with which to bury it!.....such is the local wisdom.

Anyway, congratulations are in order.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are tough at times and at others seem to die out of the blue being a prey species (don't show their illnesses until late).

Your little ewe is a star, puplequeen....and so are you for your persistence.

Just been through a similar event with Popeye, my one eyed ram,other eye destroyed in an attack by another ram. He has had a weeping abscess on his cheek for over 3 months which has slowly but surely healed and will live to father many more lambs with a bit of luck.

Some species seem to be very 'tender'. Our vet says sheep are animals which lie around in fields waiting to die. Another local saying is that when you buy a Blue Faced Leicester it comes with a free spade with which to bury it!.....such is the local wisdom.

Anyway, congratulations are in order.

We have that saying about BFL coming with a free shovel here in New England too! The guy who sheared our sheep before he passed away a number of years ago had BFLs and he's the one who first told us that.

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't have sheep -allergic, but I have heard that same saying about jersey and holstein calves.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Purple queen....it is usually the BFLs who are described as such here. Huge, greedy, bossy and will shiver like a leaf in the wind as soon as there is a bit of frost,snow or rain.....but lovely natures usually.
I have a BFL due for triplets in a couple of weeks and her belly is sagging way down. BFL lambs look so like aliens, all legs,ears and noses with that deep bleat....and one of them,should they be born alive, will be a bottle baby!
So, good luck to your ewe, and a good story to encourage us all to try,even in the face of apparently impossible odds.

Latest posts