The right LGD for poultry?

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a few questions though...

Since she is young I am expecting her to go through phases as she ages. Will she be on the same timeline as other puppies as far as chewing, chasing, rebelling goes? Or will her puppy stages happen later because she a slow grower? If she was going to chase the birds would she already be doing this?

She barks most of every night (as I smile inside knowing she is doing her job). I am concerned about burn out considering she is so young and is already taking her role so seriously. What signs should I look for that she is getting worn out?

She is about 65 to 70 lbs I am guessing, is this a good weight for her age? Mom and grandma are 130ish and dad was close to 170.

Should she be going for car rides and socializing outside of the home like I would do any other dog? Should I be feeding her with the rest of my pack at meal times or with the stock?

Should I be bringing her in during the day for short training bonding sessions or will that come with time? Currently she knows her name but does not always come when called, I know from my reading that this can be expected with the breed but how far should I let that go?

I have lots of large dominant dog training experience with a large variety of different breeds but I know this is a little different so any other do or do notes would be appreciated.

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Haha yes! she has a serious problem with children! She does not know which one to love on next! She is so incredibly gentle though for her size.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Definitely socialize her. Take her to Tractor Supply or another dog friendly place. Lowes allows people to bring their dogs in the store. Take her to the feed store. When it is time to take her to the vet, you will be glad that you did this. You don't have to take her out often, just enough so that she is not afraid and will ride in the truck/car. My two GP's like to go to the vet.

Feed her with the stock. Bring her in the house for special time with the family. It doesn't have to be every night, but give her special time. Does your poultry go to roost in a safe place at night that you can lock them up in so she can come in the house for a break?

She should get along with your other dogs and not attack them. Let her know that they belong to the family. But they have to respect her work place. It is unfair to expect her to keep other dogs away, but let your dogs in. It can be confusing for her. So keep your other dogs out of her work space.

One acre can be enough. I had a female Great Pyrenees in my small backyard at our previous home, and she did just fine. She was a chicken killer (free dog, messed up by previous owners). I kept them in the coop for their own safety. She RULED the back yard. Inadvertently she guarded the chickens, because she guarded the yard. Over time, she accepted that the chickens were "hers" and we slowly let them out just before dark (so that they would go back to roost) and sat outside with her. She slowly worked up to longer and longer times with the chickens and finally became a fantastic chicken guard. We live on 8 acres now and she guards sheep. But her favorite place? Yup. It's the back yard. :lol:

If your dog is happy with the one acre, then she is happy. She is beautiful, let the kids give her all the love she wants. I am happy for you and your family, but most of all, I am happy for her. She has the perfect home.