The saga of bad bees turned good

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
we were under a winter weather advisory as of yesterday, got changed to a winter storm warning last night, woke to 8-10 inches of snow on the ground, still snowing, and wind blown drifts. Weather guessers got it right this time.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The bees were dead and there were not very many of them. Not gone, but dead... :hit They were still in a cluster, queen was in the middle. There was a little brood so the queen had started laying as I had hoped she would. Lots of honey. Honey to the right or them, left of them, above them, and below them. Plus they had two patties that they hadn't touched. The wax moths had not returned, the bees did not have deformed wings, no sign of Nosema. My friend says that she saw them flying and on her house on Friday; she always looks for them and keeps good tabs on what they are collecting.

I have two thoughts, the first being that they just got too cold as they were a small hive. But I am still thinking skunk might have contributed to the fact that there were not very many bees and that would have caused them to get chilled and die. There did not seem to be as many bees as there was a month ago. Either that or the bees that were there a month ago were dying off and that contributed to the smaller number of bees.

The other thing I noticed is that in the brood nest there were quite a few bees with their head in the cell and they died that way. Now I know that starving bees will die with their head in the cell but these had plenty of honey.

Basically no idea, grasping at straws. Of course this hive did fine last year when I hoped it would die. :bow

Maggiesdad

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Heater bees will die heating in the cells, and as the colony expires there's no undertakers to drag them out... :hugs I'm sorry you lost them, babs.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, now I am going to look up heater bees.

I really think the colony was just too small. What caused that die off is hard say but I will try again. I have a lot of honey from them, but think I will freeze the frames and divide it up among the two hives I plan to buy in the spring. I have honey to spare from the other hives that failed.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
AMAZING!!! My admiration and appreciation for these insects just went up another notch. I had no idea...

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Wow... that's the first I ever heard of heater bees as well! Thanks Dad! Sorry you lost the hive again Babs... It's gotta work right one of these times... Right now my hives are ~12-14 inches off the ground on stacked 6x6 posts cut down in size. I think next year I'm going to buy steel 4 legged stands to have the hives 20-24" up. Hopefully that will keep them out of reach of skunks and at the same time keep field mice out and ants from going in. I'm also going to have to get some yellow jacket traps. I don't like seeing them sneaking into the hive.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are going to put a fence around the hive for skunk protection. I have a hard time lifting the boxes as it is, no need to make me lift them higher. I am going to build a solid base that black widows can't live in; was using cinder blocks and that might as well just have been a black widow trap.

Would go to 8 frame hives for weight but too much money invested in the wooden ware at this point. I have screened bottom boards, slatted racks, and telescoping lids that I would have to replace.

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm going to have to look up heater bees too, never heard of it.

Sorry they did not make it. At least you have the chance to install hopefully nicer bees.

I too have trouble with black widows. I've even found them inside the hive on occasion. Under the outer cover too. When my kids were little, we were always cleaning them out from underneath the Tonka trucks.