The story about my donkey. Please read!!!

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good luck on your plans. We've had a few donkeys but none worked out, they were too food aggressive for us. But if you're wanting a unique pet they are ok. My sister has a standerd and a mule and loves them... I will stick to my horses.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Donkeys are great! I have never had a mini but we have a full size one. He is old, actually the neighbours and was a rescue. He gets along great with our horse and really likes the dog as well. He loves eating! He also really enjoys and nice pat, he is very affectionate. He is older so he just wanders around all day checking out the pasture. Spends a lot of time leaning on our horses shoulder. I have heard that donkeys can be aggressive but ours is just the sweetest guy! He is a male...and is a jack so still in tact. He did get a little spunky when we had a young mare in our field and we never know how he would be with another donkey but he is all around a great pet. I think if he didn't have our horse he would be lonely as we don't spend too much time with him. We really enjoy him! Good luck! Here is a picture of him.

Attachments

• IMG_6536.JPG
    IMG_6536.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 207

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've had donkeys before and loved them. They are brilliant smart. What are you going to use your donkey for? Mini donkeys can pull a small cart, but are too small to ride. Standard size are rideable and mammoth are as tall as horses. A good place to start is the donkey site, and subscribe to their magazine too,

WWW.lovelongears.com

Rennwood_farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes, I thought about teaching him to pull a cart . . . :) But mostly just for a pet . . . and maybe weed control. He can just hang out with our goats and any other donkeys we get! ;)

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Welcome from Northern Minnesota! Big lake is only about 2.5 hrs from me :D I too have always wanted a mini donkey, gelding, but have just gotten started with Goats and am waiting for a bit. I have had friends with donkeys as pets and they adore them. I hear the miniature ones are more of a pet but the Jack and Jenny full sized ones I know are all super sweet. I hear a lot of people use them as Livestock protection as well. I wish you the best of luck and hope you are able to prove to your mom over the next year you are ready for it :D I remember those days all too well LOL. But it is totally worth it. My mom always suggested I research things before I decided if it was for me. Saved me I don't know how many times on headache and heartache! Like having a Ferret in the house with Rabbits... Not a good plan... I would have never known that if she hadn't made me read up on them first. :)

Rennwood_farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Haha! Sounds like me! ;) we just got started with goats too . . . and Mom doesn't want to take care of a donkey during the winter . . . plus I don't think you can find a baby this time of the year very easily. :) That's cool that you live in Minnesota too! I love it here! I would never want to live anywhere else (except Montana)! Plus, I hate tornadoes and stuff . . . so tornado alley WOULD NOT work for me!! Glad to hear about you!!!!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Getting a job at one of the local stables would be terrific experience. Donkeys are similar to horses in lots of ways and what you learn about horses by working in the stables will be helpful to you with your donkey. You will also get a lot of good advice on training from the horse people. Donkeys and mules are a little different when it comes to training but any knowledge and experience you gain will be worth it. Good luck. By the way, I agree with your mom, don't buy another mouth to feed during the winter since hay costs skyrocket then. Personally, I would look around for a mature molly or john (gelded) mini donkey if you can find one that has already had some training. Otherwise, get a yearling or 2 year old that is ready to be broken to a cart, etc. Make sure you get a vet check. Getting a job at the stables will help prove to your mom that you are committed too.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
By the way, donkeys are good guardians against coyotes but also can dislike your dogs. Our mule has never really made friends with ours and sometimes I see her sneaking up on them with a really evil look on her face. LOL

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A mini donkey is NOT a guardian. They are too small and are just as likely to be attacked by dogs or coyotes as goats and sheep are. If you want a guardian, get a standard size donkey. Minis are wonderful pets.