The Thrifty Thread!

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here's the place to share tips and tricks for making do, stretching resources, re-using and re-purposing things.

We all know the 'typical' thrifty tips, like saving leftover vegetables for soup, making stock with chicken and turkey carcasses, and using baling twine for tying... well, everything! There's plenty of ways to be thrifty around the farm and home/homestead, and there's lots of creative and inventive folks here. Share your ideas!

I'll start off with a couple.

First - I get hay in small square bales. I cut the baling twine near the knot, so I get the maximum length of useable twine. But the stuff seems to multiply faster than anything, and I really hate throwing it out. Then I came across this:
http://www.dutchhollowacres.com/2010/02/09/how-to-make-a-recycled-baling-twine-rug/
I don't crochet, so I showed it to a friend who does - she loved it! So we made a deal - I gave her a printed out copy of the instructions, a bunch of baling twine, and she'd make me a rug, and make as many as she wanted for herself. A couple more bags of twine to her, and I'll have it all cleared out! (for now....).

Second - I was carrying firewood to the house in five gallon buckets, but that got awkward. I thought about making a log carrier out of some sturdy cloth, then I looked at one of the square plastic cat litter buckets a friend saves for me. Now, you'll have to imagine this, it was too dark for pictures. I took my sawzall and cut the bottom off the bucket. Then I cut off one of the wider sides. That gave me a kinda U-shaped plastic holder. I drilled a couple 1/2" holes near the top of each upper edge, spaced wide apart for stability. Then I ran some plastic baling twine through the holes to make handles, running the twine all the way around the holder (so the twine takes the strain of carrying the weight, so it won't break at the holes). Regular baling twine would work if you don't have plastic, it just might need replaced every so often. A nice sturdy log holder/carrier for free!

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
My chickens bedding is bad horse hay along with straw. My Bantam's perch is a horse gate that was taken out. Each year after Christmas we take out tree to the proper new place, the chicken coop. Grass after the lawn is mowed often goes for the chickens to enjoy. And like most chicken owners vegetable scraps go for the chickens to enjoy as treats.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I need pics of the other... trying to envision but the screen comes up blank. :p

lol - ok, got a picture of the wood carrier. It was put together hastily - it works, but maybe for my next one I'll use three or four strands of twine, and braid them together for a neater handle. The further apart the two holes are on each side, the more stable it will be, so on the next one I'll make them a bit further apart. They should be about the same distance in from each outside edge, though. I just eyeballed these but it carries just fine.

woodcarrier.jpg

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Empty jugs become feed scoops, protection for delicate vegetables in spring ( mini hot house), funnels, small carriers if I just cut out one side.

Yogurt cups and the like get a few holes in the bottom as my seed starting cups.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My pet peeve is food scraps. :barnie I abhor waste. Between the dogs, chickens and pigs, NOTHING hits the trash.

My animals compost for me. I fill the chicken coop with leaves and let the hens scratch them apart and poop all over them. Right now we have 3 pigs in the garden. It is mulched with about 6" of pine shavings and the pigs are working it over, rooting and pooping and enriching the soil.

I recently built a Hawg Hut-all out of materials I already had, most of which were used. I built a temporary sheep shelter, again out of materials I already had. I haunt the reject rack at Lowes and buy lumber at half price and I scrounge for used lumber too.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Empty jugs become feed scoops, protection for delicate vegetables in spring ( mini hot house), funnels, small carriers if I just cut out one side.

Yogurt cups and the like get a few holes in the bottom as my seed starting cups.
We use empty orange juice jugs as feed scoops

Latest posts