1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Guess the build... - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Solution for the Wax Moth Problem

Discussion in 'Bee Pests, Diseases, Predators, Robbing' started by soarwitheagles, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Mar 21, 2018
    soarwitheagles

soarwitheagles Loving the herd life

Stang,

So sorry to hear about the sparrows eating your bees. The sparrows here eat worms and at times, our freshly planted sugar snap pea seeds. In fact, we have to cover our peas seeds with plastic every spring if we expect them to germinate and sprout...otherwise the sparrows eat every one of them!

Preying Mantis here are about 3-4 inches in length. I have caught and played with many of them since childhood until...

About 15 years ago, I accidentally crushed one while I was painting a preschool playground structure. Next thing you know, I let out a very, very loud scream. I never realized they can bite and that their bite hurts like heck [their bite hurts much more than a bee sting]. No one ever told me they can bite real hard. For many years I thought they were one of the best pets you could have!

Needless to say, through that experience, I lost my childhood innocence and the wonder of placing preying mantis' on my shoulder, on my hand, on my arm, etc.

Now I have a very healthy respect for them and I simply let them do their job!

I smile at them, but from a healthy distance now...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    BoboFarm and Baymule like this.
  2. Mar 22, 2018
    mystang89

mystang89 True BYH Addict

That is really nice to know. Even now at 34 y/o I let them walk all over me. I will think twice before doing that now lol.

3. Sep 8, 2018
    NadineBurch

NadineBurch Herd lurker

A nice info shared!