The wether report: Scours, with tinge of blood.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's been a really hard year for goats in this area.. Too wet, too little sun, not enough hot days to dry things out..

I've heard of at least two people who have had goats to just up and die, right out of the blue, then bloat up huge immediately afterward.. I mean, any ruminant that dies with a full rumen is going to bloat, but the way this is described is as though it's notably different than what's normally seen.. Nobody knows what that is, and UK's livestock diagnostic lab is pretty much ZERO help..

I've known a couple of folks to have goats that begin to scour and don't respond to anything...wormer doesn't work, sulfas don't work, antibiotics don't work...then they just get progressively weaker until they go completely anorexic, dehydrate, and die in a week or so.. Nobody knows what that's doing that, either..

Everybody I've talked to has had at least some foot problems in their herds this year, be it rot or scald or whatever..

We had skin problems in one of our does that turned out to be a bacterial infection.. Dermatophilosis, aka "rain rot," as best we could tell..

I've heard of several cases of UC this year in young bucks and wethers, too.. I think that could possibly be on account of it having been so cool this summer that it didn't really promote the consumption of very much water.

It's just a bad year all around, it seems. :(