Theawesomefowl~ My Hair Sheep Journal ~ NEW LAMB PICS! YAY!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Bee, if your ewes were grazing the fall fescue and getting fat, that's still flushing only not with grain. :) After frost, fescue's starches turn to sugar which not only increases palatability, it also increases nutrition. So, your ewes were technically getting flushed, but with forage instead of grain.

Even if ewes are in good body condition, they could still benefit from flushing. We all know how if animals are under hard times (food wise), they're not going to breed as well because their body won't put in energy for egg production when the animal can hardly support itself. When the ewe is flushed, her body says, 'Hey, look at all this extra nutrition! Let's ovulate lots of eggs because we've got plenty of food coming in!" Some breeds are naturally prolific, like Fins. I would think Fins don't need to be flushed, because they'd probably have trips easily, instead of up to 5 or 6 babies by being flushed. If people are finding their ewes cannot support multiples, then they should not flush. If their ewes can easily feed 2 and 3 babies, then they should. I would want any ewe of mine to have at least twins every time. IMO, if they're having singles they're not pulling their weight. My Southdown ewe had a single her first lambing, and I told her I would give her one more try, and she had twins the next time (all babies were ewes too, which was a bonus although not really her doing ;)).

So, IMO, flushing isn't "necessary" because the ewes aren't good enough, it's insurance to make sure you're getting the most bang for your buck. If that means I have to provide extra feed for a few weeks before breeding, I'll gladly do it. I don't have room for any freeloaders here, so I'll do what I can to ensure the most lambs per ewe, and flushing is easy.

doo dah

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
SheepGirl said:
Flushing is when you feed higher quality feeds or more feed to get a female in breeding condition, which will encourage her to ovulate more eggs, thus producing more multiple births.
Ahh ok, thank you.

theawesomefowl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We are hopefully picking up Rambo tomorrow. I had planned to begin breeding the ewes two weeks ago but life got in the way. :barnie And flushing got all messed up! I'm going to switch form sheep feed to whole corn, and just keep the ram longer. And hope for the best!

I also feel incredibly stupid for not stocking up on hay sooner.

:fl

theawesomefowl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Okay! I just picked him up: he is a little 5 month old, absolutely adorable and in good health. He has well-muscled back legs, and well formed large testicles. :rolleyes: (I remembered to check!) He is smaller than my ewes and VERY CUTE! He doesn't know how to eat hay though, having eaten pasture his whole life. I'm hoping the girls won't be too mean to him and will let him eat some....

And I just saw him attempt to breed Sadie while she was eating! :woot

theawesomefowl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hello, BYHers! :frow
I haven't been on in ages.

The sheep and goat are doing nicely. They are all woolly for the winter, and would score around a 3, so they are in good condition.
I switched from feeding them concentrate to feeding whole corn, which is cheaper (around $2) for me and they love it. I'm cutting down on it though and maybe I'll just put them on hay until April or whenever I need to start feeding extra again (for the last 5-6 weeks for pregnancy).

I still have the ram in with them; I am going to attempt to draw blood from them this week and send it to Bio-tracking. If they aren't pregnant then I'm not sure what I'm going to do!!! :fl :fl :fl

Our Christmas was nice. We went down the day after Christmas to my brother's (he lives 4 hrs away); his wife just had a baby girl in September. Baby Kayleigh is SO cute. :love

While I was away (at my brother's) my neighbor took care of the 20 chickens, duck and sheep/goat. She gave them plenty of love but overfed them!!! :th Not overfeeding as in making-ruminants-sick, just as in omgosh-she-used-so-much-hay. :rolleyes:

So everything is good, but I'm so scared the sheeples aren't pregnant/expecting/"with child". :fl :fl :fl please!!! Think LAMBS. LAMBS. LAMBS. I really want to taste some home grown lamb.

~ Diana

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
We have found that a harness + marking crayon is really good for tracking breeding dates. Just have to check the ewes each day and mark which ones have marks on their butts. We switch out the colors about every 17 days so we can see who was rebred. Really great tool for figuring out due dates!

Plus they last for years.

I hope your ewes are bred though!! Can't wait to find out.

theawesomefowl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Quick update: am planning on getting blood for Biotracking tomorrow--wish me luck. :fl

Sheep are okay, but bored with this winter weather. No fresh grass. I have them on hay only, but am going to start feeding corn again as they are only scoring about a 2.