There's a new macrocyclic lactone (____ectin) dewormer!

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
For those who haven't noticed...this thread, and the other one in which I'm apparently doing 'battle' with someone are pretty much the only two threads that have moved today..

Moreover...also for those who maybe haven't noticed...this forum is slowly but surely DYING.

So, if you want...we can be dry and uninteresting and hold our tongues and make sure nobody's toes ever get stepped on, and then we can eventually curl up and blow away from a complete lack of interest in this place..

Or....

We can say what's on our minds and make people wanna come back and see what happens next.

Totally up to y'all. :hu

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I prefer a lively discussion that contains no potshots. It is possible. I'm involved in such discussions on a daily basis. I learn a lot, teach a lot, am inspired to go do research, and sometimes just shrug and walk away. I don't feel a need to convince everyone to think and do exactly the way I do. What a boring world that would be!

I don't think this forum is dying. I think it is shifting. Lurkers will soon feel it is safe to join and post. I hope.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
BAM -- two more posts.

See what I mean? You're only proving my point, ya know.

:thumbsup

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
What would BYH do without you boys!

Remember the Prince song from the 80's that had the line "Act you age, not your shoe size?"

:lol: :gig

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever. :D

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Problem I see with this forum.....is everyone has just a few animals.
Seriously, how much info can one handle about 3 goats.

I was a farm business in meat goats. I handled big herds. So for me finding the best method of making money was important when I handled this venture as a business.

Yes you can be a small biz with 4 goats and breed and sell etc.

But what I see is Backyard Herds is a pet haven.

It is important to discuss pet care and being farm livestock it is good to know how to handle alot of problems that occur before we have to call a vet......but in general...how much of that info can one chat about on this board?

So for me it is pets vs. real farming of livestock and DO NOT get me wrong....I like the forum, it provides good info and helps people with new goats, sheep, etc....but it needs to be what it is. Don't try to make something it isn't...it just won't work..LOL

good info, good chat with people of like minds, etc. Enjoy the forum..I do.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I agree, FC, and I really appreciate input from the pro's....but yes, it is BACKYARD herds. I don't need to make money with my goats. If I could break even I'd be thrilled, but I doubt that will happen. I think most people who come here are trying to care for their pets in the best way that they can, and are looking for ideas and help with problems.

So I don't see a need for the potshots. It annoys me, and drives some people away. If people would just be polite and kind while expressing their opinions, the whole world would be a better place. The anonymity of the internet seems to give some people license to be mean. Or maybe, as cmjust0 said, immature. Immature children become mature by being corrected when they misbehave. ;)

BTW, I just ran fecals on all five goats. Only found a very few eggs in the buck's poo, and he has been here for maybe two months, and was quarantined in a pen that never held goats for a month before any gal went in with him. Found one or two in each of the samples from my girls. Down from my last check, where the numbers were in the acceptable low-mid teens. I hadn't wormed them since the last fecal exams.

Sweet Cheeks

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Back to wormers -

I have had my first two goats since Oct 09. They are brother and sister, wether and doeling Reg Nubians. I was told by the 4-H family I got them from they had been wormed in August with Valbazen.

I haven't wormed them yet. I admit I'm a little nervous about what to use and when.

I bought a bottle of Safeguard Dewormer for goats the last time I was at the feed store. Fenbendazole Suspension 10%.

Just not sure how to give to them. I had horses at one time and it was easy giving them the paste wormers.

My goats don't like me messing with their heads, faces, or mouths.

I tried looking at their gums to see if they were pink or not and that was quite a challenge. Their gums looked a little pale. Not pink at all.

Any recommendations for me - please?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Safeguard is given orally at 1cc per 10lbs. I would buy a dosing syringe. It comes in 20cc or 50cc and has a long metal "syringe" on it that you can get further into the goat's mouth to make sure the med goes down. This is not a needle. It is basically a small tube.

I would have a fecal done first and see if you have any worms and what type. Safeguard doesn't take care of coccidia.