Thermosolar Hive

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Definitely for the rich, i think this one costs even more then the flow thru hive. I dont know why they have to make this stuff so pricey i understand for most of us its just a hobby so you expect an extra expense to it but give me a break i am not paying over $600 for a single hive box even if it kills the verroa.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I feel the same way about the cost but then again over the course of 6 years I have spent that and more for bees. At 125.00 a nuc and 80.00 a package plus queens now and then 600.00 comes awfully fast. I spent 375.00 on bees two years ago and at the end of the year had no bees and a little honey. Last year it was 250.00 with the same outcome. This year 250.00 and they are still here so far. If these hives are dying from varroa then the themosolar hive would have paid for itself rather fast but that initial out lay of cash is hard to swallow.

I think this year I will treat with Oxalic acid dribble and see if that works. I was going to requeen my hives in July to break the brood cycle but at least 3 of my 5 hives have new queens and one is laying like crazy even if she is on her second year. The other hive is a captured swarm so queen could be old or new but I will watch her production and decide.

But one strong themosolar hive might be better than 5 hives that struggle. Maybe I will put it on my Christmas list this year.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I feel the same way about the cost but then again over the course of 6 years I have spent that and more for bees. At 125.00 a nuc and 80.00 a package plus queens now and then 600.00 comes awfully fast. I spent 375.00 on bees two years ago and at the end of the year had no bees and a little honey. Last year it was 250.00 with the same outcome. This year 250.00 and they are still here so far. If these hives are dying from varroa then the themosolar hive would have paid for itself rather fast but that initial out lay of cash is hard to swallow.

I think this year I will treat with Oxalic acid dribble and see if that works. I was going to requeen my hives in July to break the brood cycle but at least 3 of my 5 hives have new queens and one is laying like crazy even if she is on her second year. The other hive is a captured swarm so queen could be old or new but I will watch her production and decide.

But one strong themosolar hive might be better than 5 hives that struggle. Maybe I will put it on my Christmas list this year.

I agree it can add up over time, becausei ordered my bees late the package ended up costing me $140 roughly, then i bought the 100 frames ,etc. I still dont think i could justify a $600 some dollar hive at this point or even in the next few years. If i had undeniable evidence varroa as the cause of the several hives deaths and an on going problem and i saw reviews of it working i would heavily consider it at the least. Atm i hope to upgrade/buy equipment as the bees can pay for it themselves after initial start up costs. Probly very hopeful but we shall see how it goes.

Alicia

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I wish they would consider the prices....especially something like the flow hive whose production and demand have been through the roof. It would give the rest of us a chance to experience it as well.
Thermosolar seems very interesting.

Latest posts