thiamine dosage

Robyn8

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 9 month old goat recovering from a jaw fracture and severe tongue laceration. See my previous post for the full story:
https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/goat-with-teeth-knocked-out.38857/page-3#post-585742

His surgery was Friday the 21st. We just finished antibiotics today and the vet wants me to continue giving thiamine SQ every 8 hours for another 5 days or so to prevent polio. I am syringe feeding critical care 4 times a day and he's starting to eat grain and hay on his own (very slowly and not nearly enough to keep him going but he's trying!). The thiamine injections are becoming a huge issue for us. he fights us and then gets super stressed afterwards and starts shaking. I called the vet and asked if there was an oral option and they said no. But some people treat early cases of polio with oral thiamine don't they? Can I take a human b 1 tablet and crush it and put it in water? obviously I'd have to calculate out how much to give but I don't know a dosage. he's just a little 40 lb Nigerian dwarf. I just hate to keep stressing him out with a preventative. I intend to save the injectable in case we see neuro signs or he goes off feed completely, but I'm wondering if I can try an oral or just skip it and watch him carefully? any thoughts or experience with this would be great!
Thanks!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would send the label of the red cell for horses and ask it you can give that instead.
This will give full nutritional support, not just thiamine, and is easy to syringe feed.
If your vet is unfamiliar with the product it is most helpful to snap a pic of the product info and send...
Generally (because it is off label and vet approves use) it is 6ml per 100 lbs but the vet may want slightly lower dosage if given daily.

https://valleyvet.cvpservice.com/product/view/basic/1500004

Robyn8

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It could be a really good option. Boy, you have had a time of it.
I read the other post. :ep

I know it’s been a real roller coaster ride! But he’s being such a trooper! He tolerates the syringe feeding really well and is trying so hard to eat. He just hates the injections which I don’t blame him! Thanks again for your help!

Robyn8

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
B0AEBA44-1128-4FF3-A591-A5BFFB6B01BC.jpeg
Here’s a pic of my daughter hand feeding him some grain today. I like to think he was trying extra hard to eat for her. He has a coat on cause he was shivering earlier.

Robyn8

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
poor guy... it is lovely to see your daughter caring for him and to see you doing all you can for him

Thanks! We just have the two goats so we are very attached to them. They are pretty much dogs who live outside at this point. Right now though I’m thankful we don’t have more lol! It’s been a lot of work.