Thin yearling

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Secuono...she doesn't look too bad to me...but I know that pics. can be SO deceptive. hopefully, she's just a slender young lady who will fill out with time.

Can we have a some of your rain, please? We've lacked proper rain much of this summer and have poor pasture and no winter fodder.

Really wet conditions (as we usually have here) predispose to liver fluke as well as worms. The intermediate host for liver fluke is a small snail, hence the risk from wet pasture. Check whether fluke is endemic in the region which your new ewe came from and treat her if it is. Sudden death can occur with liver fluke....though often the animals who die appear well nourished and healthy, not thin.

Good Luck.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, it's hard to get it in a picture, but hip points, shoulder and spine are all raised, no meat on her. Even laying down, you can see that in person.

Valbazen treats adults, but not the younger fluke. I can't find Triclabendazole in USA.

Please take our rain, I'm very sick of it!
Raining again now.

I can hardly keep up with mowing because of all the rain. =/

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
California needs rain too, but too much of anything can be a bad thing. Here in So Cal we are hardly bothered by worms since the ground is so dry that they can't live. BUT when we have a bad rain year (El Nino) or tropical storms from Mexico, we flood because the ground is so hard the rain runs off before it can soak in. Then stuff that was dormant for years comes alive and catches us unaware. Dogs all got Giardiasis one rainy year - didn't know what it was, never heard of it before. Stools like water, lost weight, now I know what it is and how to stop it.

Hope you have a respite from the rain soon, and your pastures can dry out. :cool: Hopefully, now the scours are under control and she has been wormed she will put some weight on. :hugs

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Treating her for cocci.
She's getting feed 3-4x a day and still no weight gain.
If the cocci treatment doesn't help, vet will be called out.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, she is 20 inches tall. A wee taller than her mom, so that means my smallest Babydoll is 19"!!!
I need a smaller ram....
This sickly ewe, at this point, is being removed from the breeding list and will be in the lamb paddock.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got her a new tube of probiotics, been feeding it to her daily. Today runny poo and loads of worms. =/
So dewormed, little anti diarrhea meds & probiotics given.
She's started to eat more, wool is growing back in, so should have enough for winter, color is nearly red again! So that's good.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Am I reading correctly that the thin ewe had deer Menegeal worm? Nothing treats menegeal worm once it is in spine/brain.

Am I confusing it with another worm?
Hmm...I know Mworm to cause them to be thin and needing strong, repetitive deworming.
I know in alpaca, you can treat it once symptoms, like stumbling, appear with several different things given asap.

Either way, unknown what her issue is/was.