Things to have to butcher a hog

Karl Atkins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
so what would be a list of thing that I need at butcher time?

This is what I already have :
Meat grinder 1hp motor
Banquet table
Hatchet
Electronic scale goes to 22 lbs

The wife said no on the food saver seal a meal she thinks it would take to much time
So I have to buy some freezer paper. Thanks for the suggestions Karl

The list you guys suggested:

Bone saw / hack saw
Saws all with new blade
Blue shop towels
Bleach spray bottles
#3 steel tub for Guts
Butcher paper
fillet knife
Deer hoist ( to hang the hog)
Gloves ?
Tarps

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cancel the butcher paper unless you like freezer burn. I love my Foodsaver. I have worn this one out and I am going to get another one, bigger and heavier duty. It is a MUST HAVE piece of equipment. So what if it takes a little longer, how long do you want the meat to last in the freezer?

A LOT of sharp knives. Bone saw. Hack saw with a new blade. On the bone between the legs in the area of the anus, I used a meat cleaver and hit it with a hammer to break the bone apart so I could cut the anus out (tie a string around it for obvious reasons)

A spray bottle of Clorox water to clean the table. Wash pan, water hose with spray nozzle, couple of towels that your wife doesn't care about. Roll of paper towels. A #3 metal tub to drop the guts in, a bucket just isn't big enough.

Get the butcher paper, it is clean and helps to lay the meat on it when cutting it up.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
On Bay's above list, :thumbsup
I butcher small scale a lot, and like the blue shop rag type of paper towel rolls. They do not shred up or leave lint or deposits on the meat or table surface when rubbed repeatedly over a surface.

Also, on quartering, I use to use a sawzall on deer. It is fast, just use a different blade from your home construction and auto projects.

Karl Atkins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
On Bay's above list, :thumbsup
I butcher small scale a lot, and like the blue shop rag type of paper towel rolls. They do not shred up or leave lint or deposits on the meat or table surface when rubbed repeatedly over a surface.

Also, on quartering, I use to use a sawzall on deer. It is fast, just use a different blade from your home construction and auto projects.

Oh yeah we picked up a small Electronic scale from Costco it go to 22# is that good?