Think we found one!

Hobby Farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
After several weeks of seaching Craigslist, local papers, and talking to people we knew, I think we found a good milking goat to buy. Our county fair is currently happening. We went there yesterday and spoke to a family who has been doing goats for 4-H for over ten years with 3 different daughters. The family came highly recommended by many around the goat barn. They have six registered goats in milk right now, and have numerous yearlings. They said the would be wanting to sell at least one of their seasoned (2-3 years old) Alpines. Fair is over Friday, and we're supposed to stop by their house sometime after that.

We really didn't discuss an exact price. They said it would be between $150-$200 each.

First question - What does it mean when they said they were registered? Is this like the papers of a registered dog?

Second question - Is this price range typical for a goat of this breed, age, and being registered?

Thanks.

goatdude95

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
To be registered is the same as a dogs the price sounds about right for one in milk and registered also the breed is very nice!

Griffin's Ark

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If you can get a registered alpine for that price jump on it! That is a good price for one in milk if she is not more than 3 years old. Consider the fact that you will not have to buy milk for several months and the price even gets better looking. My wife and I drink at least a half gallon a day, we are milking 3 Oberhasli goats and saving a ton of money on milk. The milk that we don't use goes into soap or yogurt. It is a win/win situation!

Chris

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That is an incredible price, jump on it!

Around here you can expect to pay $400-$500+ for a NON-registered Nubian DOELING KID!

A little out of my price range ;)

onedozenphyllises

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
That is an incredible price, jump on it!

Around here you can expect to pay $400-$500+ for a NON-registered Nubian DOELING KID!

A little out of my price range ;)
OUCH! :ep

Around here, registered doelings go for around half that.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ugh, I know... When I started looking at getting doelings, I contacted several farms and breeders and some were even higher! A breeder close to me priced a doeling kid out at $650!! Now I'm sorry, but if that kid grows up and turns out to be infertile, do I get my money back?! Nope.

crazygoatlady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I would ask to see proof that they are CAE and CL negative--that is very very reseaonable for mlkers let alone registered goats. I had CAE postive goats in the past, some do fine, but others don't, I had problems with chronic pneumonia and finally lost one of them to pneumonia after bouts and bouts with Naxcel. It got expensive and still lost her. It is difficult to sell goats from a CAE positive herd and I will not touch a goat with CL. Also ask if they have milking records. Good luck Carolyn

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
Ugh, I know... When I started looking at getting doelings, I contacted several farms and breeders and some were even higher! A breeder close to me priced a doeling kid out at $650!! Now I'm sorry, but if that kid grows up and turns out to be infertile, do I get my money back?! Nope.
I think a responsible breeder would refund in the event the doe (or buck) is infertile. That's one condition in my sales policy. If a Vet will certify the doe's infertility, then they most definitely will be given a full refund. Their sales policy is one thing you need to check on and if they can't guarantee that their animals are furtile or your money back, then don't buy them.