Thinking about adding a couple

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have a few cattle. My pastures have some weeds that the cattle won’t, or are reluctant to eat. So I’ve thought about adding 2-3 goats to the herd to clean up the stuff the cattle don’t like. Am I nuts and should I just fight the weeds, or would a few goats cure my problem by eating the stuff the cattle don’t like? I’m not interested in milking.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a few cattle. My pastures have some weeds that the cattle won’t, or are reluctant to eat. So I’ve thought about adding 2-3 goats to the herd to clean up the stuff the cattle don’t like. Am I nuts and should I just fight the weeds, or would a few goats cure my problem by eating the stuff the cattle don’t like? I’m not interested in milking.
Fences have to be different, and way stronger/ tighter to hold in goats verses cattle.

But... goats do eat a bunch of stuff that cattle do not.

So, if you have the right fencing, then yes, you might be very happy with goats.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goats will eat weeds, vines and leaves before grass....90% of the time. They like to ramble along and take a few bites here, then there....but, they make a huge difference.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The neighbor has a goat that come over to visit. The other day I handed him a handful of hay. He nuzzled through it to pick out a leaf to eat 1st 😆

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goats are browsers, wool sheep and cattle are grazers. The oldest and easiest way to clear a field for crops is to put in goats to eat off the brush, sheep and cattle to take the grass down to the dirt. Then hogs are added to root up the roots and trunks of the larger shrubs or small trees.

Since you don't want to milk, no need to breed. I suggest you get some weaned meat goats to eat the brush and weeds for you. Goat meat is similar to lamb but without the greasier taste of lamb. So around 6 months old, start them on some grain and butcher them at 8 months for your freezer. If you don't like the taste of lamb, don't bother graining them for your freezer. Instead sell them at the auction around 6-8 months old. You won't have anything in them except the original purchase price since they will have eaten the weeds and brush from your pasture. Problem solved.

Your only problem will be predators. If you live in heavy coyote area they can get the goats. If you already run LGDs with your stock you will be ok.