Thinking about buying two Nigerian Dwarfs

Mcpowell

Herd lurker
Reaction score
We live on a small farm in S.C. Have horses, chickens, and dogs. I’ve been researching goats and have decided to purchase 2 Nigerian Dwarf goats for milking. My question is what do I start with? Is it best to purchase doelings first or does?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH! So glad you joined us. Quite a few folks here are located in your general area of the states. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home & consider taking a minute to visit the new member's thread and introduce yourself so folks can welcome you properly. https://www.backyardherds.com/forums/new-member-introductions.17/

What to purchase depends more on what your immediate needs are... You may be able to find a doe in milk for sale with kid(s) at her side. That way you'll have milk this season and does to breed for next. First concern should be a protected area for them to stay in when you get them. The number one killer of small livestock is dogs... strays, the neighbor's, and yours! Make sure you have good fencing... it's your first/best line of defense. Hope you'll share some pics when you get them :)

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

Wendybear

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Getting a doe in milk is good idea! I was torn between doing that and getting a doeling from a good milk line and a whether companion and then breeding her.

I think it’s 6 in one hand/ half dozen in the other. Bc having the milk right away AND having an experienced milker are 2 very big advantages.

I ended up getting the bottle babies bc I felt like it would be better for me to get a good goat care routine down before I threw in the milking commitment. But although my girl is less than 2 months old I am already freaking out at the prospect of both us newbies on a milkstand. Really. I’m freaking out.

In fact, now I’m thinking I may hold off on breeding Sugar and getting a doe in milk next spring, so that I can get a little experience milking and Sugar can have an example.

Of course, when I made my initial decision I thought I was only going to have my original two and retain one of her doeling. But now that I’ve had my goats for a bit, I am totally down with expanding my herd!! Give me more goats!! I’m crazy in love!!