Thinking about microdairy

joshmod

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi Friends,

My wife and I are debating starting into a 3-5 cow microdairy. Our thought is that we would sell shares to make the selling process a bit easier. Hopefully this would give us a little bit of extra income without me having to quit my day job (which I enjoy) but also allowing us to have some fruitful experiences in farming (especially with our kiddos).

Anyone have any thoughts or advice on this? Have you or anyone else tried? Thanks friends!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It depends on your state laws. Some states allow raw milk sales, only on the farm. Some states don't allow cow shares. You need to know your state laws so you don't run afoul of them.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
X2 what Baymule said.
Many states prohibit "shares". Most states prohibit raw milk sales and or milk products sales.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
X2 what Baymule said.
Many states prohibit "shares". Most states prohibit raw milk sales and or milk products sales.
Our state prohibits raw milk sales
But I don't think "most" do
I think "most" allow it in some fashion
I don't think the concept would be very profitable compared to the effort though

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are 15 or 16 states that allow you to sell raw milk from the farm. About 10 that allow you to sell raw milk retail. Here is a map of what states allow what. http://farmtoconsumer.org/
The map is about half way down the page.

Whatever you do, get insurance. Literally not worth losing the farm if you get sued.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are 15 or 16 states that allow you to sell raw milk from the farm. About 10 that allow you to sell raw milk retail. Here is a map of what states allow what. http://farmtoconsumer.org/
The map is about half way down the page.

Whatever you do, get insurance. Literally not worth losing the farm if you get sued.
One should always have insurance in any commercial undertaking particularly selling food products to the public
Knowing a thing or two about liability not sure I agree that this is any more so. At least I have not seen a whole lot of cases in court

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
If a cow gives 5 gallons a day and in CA raw milk sells for 10.00 a gallon plus 40.00 a year for the herd share. The dairy has a mile long waiting list.

That is 50.00 a day per cow income x 5 cows that is 250.00 a day. Sign me up. :) I realize there are expenses and months they are dry but if you have the space for 5 cows and it is legal I would certainly be tempted to give it a try.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not saying that it is more likely that a person will get sued but milk borne illnesses can be life threatening/fatal so if there was a problem it could turn tragic very quickly. I am not opposed to raw milk but in CA whenever someone who drank raw milk gets sick the authorities ALWAYS shut down the dairy while they investigate. They have never found milk from that specific dairy to be the cause but they always look there first.