Thinking about microdairy

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
If a cow gives 5 gallons a day and in CA raw milk sells for 10.00 a gallon plus 40.00 a year for the herd share. The dairy has a mile long waiting list.

That is 50.00 a day per cow income x 5 cows that is 250.00 a day. Sign me up. :) I realize there are expenses and months they are dry but if you have the space for 5 cows and it is legal I would certainly be tempted to give it a try.
Sign me up too :)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never owned a cow but from what I read 5 gallons is actually low. They can do 6-8 :th

Sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If your state laws allow you to do this, I would say go for it :) I'm not very familiar with the laws regarding raw milk sales in the States, but I believe some states allow you to sell it for consumption by pets, like dogs or cats ;)

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
As with all agriculture related business ventures, Keep your finances completely separate if you can--household account vs business account.
Keep dang good records on everything, including (but not limited to) what you use as disinfectant and how and when you use it. If the health people ever do have cause (real or trumped up) to look your place and animals over, you need to be able to prove you did everything "right".

Sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You are going to have to be hardcore on hygiene. I worked at a medium-small dairy farm years ago and we used to spent an hour milking and an hour cleaning and sterilising everything afterwards. My boss used to rinse out all the equipment with diluted acid after washing it. I remember that part vividly because he accidentally dropped the bottle on my leg once! Thank goodness there was tap nearby.