Thinking about pigs

SpotTheCat

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So we are planning to move to a house with about 4 acres, probably only 3 acres for livestock.

My mother has made noises of we should get a pig for edible waste disposal. I have read on some thread on here that pigs quite happily eat people, are there ones that don’t do this? Is 3 acres big enough if we also want 3 sheep and maybe a horse? Do the need another pig to be happy? Is it actually worth it do get a pig for wast disposal if we aren’t going to eat it?

Also I am in the UK and haven’t done any research in to pigs yet

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
that pigs quite happily eat people, are there ones that don’t do this?
😁I'm sure you left a word out here...but, pigs will eat most all garden and meal leftovers! How much of this you have is the determining factor. Most will need bought feed at some point. They also eat grass, so lawn sweepings can be fed-- if not chemically sprayed. KuneKune are least rooter but still root! Maybe a pet pot belly would work. Beware both of these CAN get to 300#. Hope this helps.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you are not going to eat it, I’d take a pass on the pig. Even the nicest most tame pig is destructive, it’s just their nature. Pigs root up the dirt, that means destroying grass that the sheep could eat. Also need to keep pigs separate from other animals.

Chickens would be a better idea. They eat practically everything except onions and citrus. What they don’t eat gets scratched to bits. On a dirt floor coop, the vegetable waste gets mixed with dirt and chicken poop and makes compost for the garden. Deep litter with fall leaves too, chickens love that. And you get eggs! Win-win.

SpotTheCat

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
😁I'm sure you left a word out here...but, pigs will eat most all garden and meal leftovers! How much of this you have is the determining factor. Most will need bought feed at some point. They also eat grass, so lawn sweepings can be fed-- if not chemically sprayed. KuneKune are least rooter but still root! Maybe a pet pot belly would work. Beware both of these CAN get to 300#. Hope this helps.
Thank you! I don’t think I am missing a word, I meant humans, I read on some thread on here about people fainting in pig pens and getting eaten. Put me very much off having a pig

SpotTheCat

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If you are not going to eat it, I’d take a pass on the pig. Even the nicest most tame pig is destructive, it’s just their nature. Pigs root up the dirt, that means destroying grass that the sheep could eat. Also need to keep pigs separate from other animals.

Chickens would be a better idea. They eat practically everything except onions and citrus. What they don’t eat gets scratched to bits. On a dirt floor coop, the vegetable waste gets mixed with dirt and chicken poop and makes compost for the garden. Deep litter with fall leaves too, chickens love that. And you get eggs! Win-win.
Thank you! It would be separate from the other animals.

I have chicken and they will not touch all most any of the scraps! But yes I don’t think there is much point to us having a pig, I like learning about animals so I thought I may as well ask

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pigs CAN BE aggressive...some breeds more so. They will rush food. My last pigs were AGH and far more agreeable. They were freezer planned. @Baymule is correct that they are destructive -- even in their own pen. For ME, none would be maintained beyond being raised for consumption. 🤷. To each his own.

My chickens are pure garbage pits!

SpotTheCat

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Pigs CAN BE aggressive...some breeds more so. They will rush food. My last pigs were AGH and far more agreeable. They were freezer planned. @Baymule is correct that they are destructive -- even in their own pen. For ME, none would be maintained beyond being raised for consumption. 🤷. To each his own.

My chickens are pure garbage pits!
Well now I can firmly tell my mother no pigs! We need more chickens instead :lol:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you are not planning on eating them, having pigs/hogs is not really advised. Yes there are those that have pot belly pigs for pets. They are still going to get big and very unwielding.
Yes, pigs will eat alot of the waste household stuff and eat alot of the garden produce that is not used or overripe. But the purpose of pigs is really pork to eat. They need to be treated as a food source animal. I raised sows for the purpose of producing baby piglets for sale to others that wanted to raise a couple up for the freezer. I NEVER tolerated a sow that was aggressive towards me... but did want them to be protective of their baby pigs.

If your chickens are not wanting to eat or pick through the over ripe produce or other household waste, maybe you are feeding them too much. Chickens are scavengers.... they should be eating, picking though, and scratching around and making compost out of anything they don't eat.

SpotTheCat

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If you are not planning on eating them, having pigs/hogs is not really advised. Yes there are those that have pot belly pigs for pets. They are still going to get big and very unwielding.
Yes, pigs will eat alot of the waste household stuff and eat alot of the garden produce that is not used or overripe. But the purpose of pigs is really pork to eat. They need to be treated as a food source animal. I raised sows for the purpose of producing baby piglets for sale to others that wanted to raise a couple up for the freezer. I NEVER tolerated a sow that was aggressive towards me... but did want them to be protective of their baby pigs.

If your chickens are not wanting to eat or pick through the over ripe produce or other household waste, maybe you are feeding them too much. Chickens are scavengers.... they should be eating, picking though, and scratching around and making compost out of anything they don't eat.
Thank you!