Thinking of geting a pair of Dexters

RedCanoe

Just born
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

My husband and I were just offered the use of a neighbor's pasture. We had both been thinking about Dexters so that is probably what we will end up getting. She has about 4 acres of excellent pasture currently being used by two old goats, six small sheep (shetland, I think), and less than a dozen chickens.

We are starting a rotational grazing pattern with her sheep and would like to learn about options that would include the cows.

I want to learn as much as possible, so please give me any info that you think would be helpful. Here are some of the questions that I had:

- Would fours acres support all this livestock, assuming we do management-intensive grazing?

- could the sheep and the cows be grazed in the same pasture at the same time?

- is it twice as much work to have two dexters?

- we found a farm that would sell us the dexters right after they wean (mid-july) for $400 each, how does that sound?

Like I said, we are just trying to learn as much as we can now, so any advise or recommended books would be appreciated.

Thanks!
RC

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:welcome to the herd!

WRB has some excellent info on pastures and rotational grazing. Check my sig. for the Index link.

If you run cows and sheep together you need to watch the minerals/feed you give the cows. Sheep can't have copper or urea. Other than that they should be able to graze together.

As for the work of two versus one, you have to feed and water one, with two you need more but, you already have to do the work for one. It may mean filling the watertub more often (I like the floats that keep them full) or hauling out a little more hay when the pastures need supplementing but, you would have to haul for the one anyway.

I'm not familar with the pricing of Dexters but, you can check local sale barns and extension offices for the current pricing in your area. Also watch the papers and other ads in your area and see what they are bringing. And prices do vary depending on where you are at.

May I ask where you are from and if you could please put it in your info? It does help with some questions to know where you are from. ;)

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
RedCanoe said:
Hello everybody,

My husband and I were just offered the use of a neighbor's pasture. We had both been thinking about Dexters so that is probably what we will end up getting. She has about 4 acres of excellent pasture currently being used by two old goats, six small sheep (shetland, I think), and less than a dozen chickens.

We are starting a rotational grazing pattern with her sheep and would like to learn about options that would include the cows.

I want to learn as much as possible, so please give me any info that you think would be helpful. Here are some of the questions that I had:

- Would fours acres support all this livestock, assuming we do management-intensive grazing?

- we found a farm that would sell us the dexters right after they wean (mid-july) for $400 each, how does that sound?

Like I said, we are just trying to learn as much as we can now, so any advise or recommended books would be appreciated.

Thanks!
RC
:welcome 1.yes 4acs will carry 5 sheep 2 goats an 2 cows.
2.yes they can all graze the pasture without any probs.but as said they all cant have the same feed.
3,you can tend to 2 just as as easy as 1.
4.$400 a hd for weaned heifer calves is a more than fair price.just make sure theyvw been weaned 2 or 3wks.an are on feed good.or youll have to deal with 2 bawling calves for awhile.
5.make sure the fence will hold the calves.since it holds the sheep an goats .im sure its fine for the calves.

RedCanoe

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and advice. I am feeling pretty good about the purchase. We are hoping to go to the farm soon to check out the place and see the animals. I have a few more general questions but I'll start a new thread for them.

Starting with cattle is more intimidating than having chickens, but I guess there won't be any easier starting point than just a pair of dexters...

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
RedCanoe said:
Hello everybody,

It should

Yes

No; most time cattle are less work than chickens, goats or sheep altogether.

Sounds reasonable

Thanks!
RC

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
WildRoseBeef pretty much answered all your questions! My only opinion would be that I'd be very careful with rotational grazing on just four acres, and I wouldn't have a large herd. Be prepared to feed hay in a drought, even in the summer. That's my two cents. :)

BTW,

:welcome to the herd!