This baby isn't quite right.....

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
IMG_9848.PNG
IMG_9848.PNG
There is a weird spot on his head and his eyes seem different...

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
IMG_9851.JPG
His eyes

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I tried to get him to nurse to ensure he was but he did not want to. He was still a tad wet so I came back a few hours later to ensure he was nursing and noticed the spot on his head and his eyes. I don't remember them looking this way with previous baby goats? But maybe I just didn't take note or didn't look close enough.

I tried again to get him to nurse. Momma looks painfully full so I milked a bit of colostrum and both teats took a bit to get started. Like I had to get the plug out first then milk flowed. I put that into bottle and he took some but he is awkward. Maybe just a newborn awkward. I have never bottle-fed a goat.

He curled his upper lip and I didn't see any teeth. Maybe I just wasn't looking in the right spot or maybe he has none. I'm wondering if his abnormalities are from prematurity?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is that a wound on his head? Bless his heart, he really looks "off". Have you taken his temp? Does he have trouble swallowing? I'd be checking him for a cleft palate...and a lot of other issues.

He won't have teeth on the upper jaw - they'll be on the bottom.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well I can see at least one budding tooth. I don't know how many or how big they should be. Maybe he is blind or maybe I never looked closely at hours old babies.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It doesnt look like a wound. Maybe no skin over skull? I'm not sure what it looks like.

I bottle fed him a tiny bit and he did seem to swallow. I take it he didn't nurse from 9ish am -4:30 pm since her tears weren't free flowing colostrum.

It is warm here now. Flies and bugs are out. I've never had an issue like this.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That is odd. His whole face looks "off".

What is he crossed with?

Does he have an anus? All the other "parts"?
Seems to have an anus. Looks clean so i don't believe he has defecated at all yet.
It is a boy. I can see that. His mama is lamancha/alpine and I don't believe there was any cross breeding this season so the daddy had to be Nubian. I didn't note any cross breeding in my notes. I didn't think this doe was bred. She was thin when my others were getting huge. She had pale kids a couple months ago and I heavily wormed her thinking she wasn't bred. I never noticed the male interested in her and she was nursing last year's accidentally inbred kid still early in the season. I can check what dewormer I used when I go back inside.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Her udder has lumps? Almost like mosquito bites. Never have seen that before either. But it's only been 3 years of kidding here for me.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I did 3 days of pelleted safeguard then 2 weeks later 1/14/17 I did cydectin.

I need to make this year's goal learning to do my own fecals. Nobody does that here. They just worm with with a chosen dewormer on a set schedule.

Attachments

• IMG_9853.JPG
    IMG_9853.JPG
    558.6 KB · Views: 121

Latest posts