This baby isn't quite right.....

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think it was mentioned on another thread that thiamine and selenium may help.
I gave the gel I have right after that was suggested. I never think of it earlier.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The amount he is taking is not enough to sustain life.
The flatness of skull and the open hole as well as the yes are all indicators of birth defect.

I agree that this one should be seen by a vet.

Euthanasia is much more humane then allowing a goat to die a slow death by not being able to eat or function in a healthy way.

Because you have some crosses in their remember G6S is an issue in nubians but is also affecting goats that have nubian bred into them.
I had my only full Nubians checked for g6s. And I am the breeder of any crosses I have in the herd. So G6S shouldn't be the problem.

I had him put down. He wasn't eating nearly enough and couldn't recover.

I did not necropsy. This hasn't been a recurring problem here on the farm.

It has made me consider getting out of goats. I definitely have too many and my milk needs will be met by a jersey cow next year. If I don't sell out completely I will definitely be thinning to just Nubians and keeping that herd small.

thank you all for your help.

I am sorry. So many typos and I actually catch most of them but some still slip by me. So I apologize for random letters or whacky words that make no sense.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I won't be using cydectin on a possibly bred doe anymore either. Just in case.

Jenn27

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Poor thing. :( You did the right thing, though. :hugs

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry you had to put the kid down- I agree with the others, you did the right thing. :hugs:hugs

I'm of the mindset of "why waste a death?".
It's hard enough as it is, so why waste the opportunity to have a necropsy run and check all the levels?
This hasn't been a reoccurring problem- but why let it (possibly) get to that point?
Of it is a toxin or deficiency, it's better to fine out sooner rather than later. Not trying to scare you, chances are very slim that you will see this again, but I'm pointing out the other side.

I don't know what state you are located in, but some labs are not expensive. Our lab can do a pretty thorough necropsy for $40. Well worth it. Other labs might cost more, but it never hurts to look around and see what is available.

I hope that didn't come across as harsh! That is not the intent. I am truly sorry you had to go through this! So hard when kids make it though the whole pregnancy and have to end like this :hit:hugs:hugs

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sorry you had to put him down, but from what I could see, it seems like you did the right thing. That definitely looked like a serious birth defect that he would not have survived. I hope it's not this one instance that is making you consider getting out of goats, but whatever the reason, you have to do what's right for you and your family. A milk cow will produce as much milk in a day as 4-6 or more goats. I don't know what the financial effect would be... more or less expensive. It might actually save some money and time dealing with one animal vice many, but to me, goats are much more "huggable" for lack of a better word. Hope you'll stay with us regardless.

Latest posts