Thistleblooms Rambles

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Different then. Must have some pretty darn good up pressure with that loader to pull them straight out of the ground, does he cut the side roots first?

No. These are not deeply rooted trees. Probably mostly due to the overcrowding. That area in the picture was thick enough previously that you couldn't see the road which is that light strip you can see in the background.
It was a big shock though when our house was exposed to the road. I'm used to it now, and in the summer I have a couple big Beautybush that block the house when they leaf out.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Regarding the tree removal tool that was on your neighbor's tractor, I have never of nor seen such a tool. I will look into that and see what I can find out.

Regarding the winch, Mr. @Bruce, sir, I am leaning toward getting an electric winch for the Gator. I considered getting a PTO powered winch, like the ones on Outdoors with the Morgans and GP Outdoors, but I liked the idea of having an electric winch on the Gator, as I could use it to help get the Gator out of mud holes if I needed to as well as pull logs out of the woods. Red Tool House put one on his Honda side-by-side and it worked great.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I found this a little late in the season, but when the beautyberry plants sprout back out, I'm going to try it.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I found this a little late in the season, but when the beautyberry plants sprout back out, I'm going to try it.

Darn. :\ That's Beautyberry, (Callicarpa), I have Beautybush (Kolkwitzia). That's the trouble with common names. And I was getting all excited. Last year we had an invasion of nasty little biting black flies all over the horses that NOTHING worked on. They get in your eyes and ears and mouth, and they leave lumps where they bite. Miserable things.

edit: I read the entire article and it said that mint could be substituted (may not be as effective) so I will try that.
Thanks for sharing that info Bay.

Last edited: