Thistleblooms Rambles

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh yes. We have a mid size Ariens. Dh was already wishing we had got the bigger size last year when we bought it, but it's better than the old Craftsman that we used for years and about wore out. We also have a quad with a snow blade on the front, but yesterdays snow was so wet and heavy it was too much to push. We have to shovel places the blower can't go, and unfortunately when the snow is as deep and wet as it was yesterday the friction drives are not very powerful. So I had to shovel out all the gates and some pathways that I trudged through earlier and packed the snow down enough that the blower refused to go forward without a bunch of coaxing.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I did think of a Texas winter. The snowless ground, sunshine, high heat and humidity (I know, not in the winter), puckerbrush, giant weeds, poisonous snakes, man eating hogs, and tornados were almost appealing!

Sounds like a fair trade for no snow! :lol:

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I did think of a Texas winter. The snowless ground, sunshine, high heat and humidity (I know, not in the winter), puckerbrush, giant weeds, poisonous snakes, man eating hogs, and tornados were almost appealing!

Sounds like a fair trade for no snow! :lol:

I wish more people had your snow phobia Bay... :highfive:

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
More hours of shovel work today cleaning up the snow dh took off the roof. But I was thanking God for a break in the snowfall. No new snow today and a few sun breaks to boot! :yesss:
Then Kid#1 dropped in with his own shovel to surprise us and help out.
That was so sweet of him. My husband and I had stopped for the day and were drooping over the furniture when he walked in.
He set to work on a giant berm I was saving for tomorrows winter fitness program and man did he make that snow fly! He demolished it in about 15 minutes and it would have taken me at least an hour. 10 years as a winter lifty on the ski hill has really paid off! 🤣 That's the difference between a pro and a rank amateur, lol. He went on the hunt for more roof berms and even shoveled the little mules pen so his stubby little legs could get around easier. Love that kid of mine. :love

Knowing that shoveling snow was way off @Baymule 's radar I did some just for her. About 45 seconds worth because I didn't want to wear her out.
And speaking of shoveling, this is for @B&B Happy goats .

1578976776499.png

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
QUOTE="thistlebloom, post: 635280, member: 19978"]
More hours of shovel work today cleaning up the snow dh took off the roof. But I was thanking God for a break in the snowfall. No new snow today and a few sun breaks to boot! :yesss:
That was so sweet of him. My husband and I had stopped for the day and were drooping over the furniture when he walked in.
He set to work on a giant berm I was saving for tomorrows winter fitness program and man did he make that snow fly! He demolished it in about 15 minutes and it would have taken me at least an hour. 10 years as a winter lifty on the ski hill has really paid off! 🤣 That's the difference between a pro and a rank amateur, lol. He went on the hunt for more roof berms and even shoveled the little mules pen so his stubby little legs could get around easier. Love that kid of mine. :love

Knowing that shoveling snow was way off @Baymule 's radar I did some just for her. About 45 seconds worth because I didn't want to wear her out.
And speaking of shoveling, this is for @B&B Happy goats .

View attachment 68857
[/QUOTE]

Lol, I did my winter shoveling in Massachusetts and New Hampshire, Florida winter shoveling is a breeze ...and yet people do complain about it :lol::lol::lol:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
It’s been too warm here for shoveling snow. It did snow in Dallas a week ago, I saw it on the news! Does that count?
It does if you got worn out thinking about shoveling the snow ;)

Must be nice to have a kid that is not only willing to help but volunteers AND he doesn't even live there!

10 years as a winter lifty on the ski hill has really paid off!
Hmmm, DD2 is on her 3rd winter as a lift attendant. I'll have to ask if they are called liftys. The little kids in ski school are called vesties. I know she sometimes shovels snow but I seriously doubt she's built up any skills or power. She couldn't even scrape the ice off her windshield the other day. It was upper 20's, she gave up and just sat in the car with the defrosters on. :thI scraped the ice off my car about an hour later, same temps. Wasn't a big deal.

Hey it is real in Vermont too! I "get" to shovel winter AND summer. And the summer shoveling is a real PITA, not nice big leaves but pine needles that drop ALL summer.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
She couldn't even scrape the ice off her windshield the other day.
Oh dear. :\
Hey it is real in Vermont too! I "get" to shovel winter AND summer. And the summer shoveling is a real PITA, not nice big leaves but pine needles that drop ALL summer.

But the pine needles are so light Bruce! :D
I'm a year round shoveler too. Snow is my "winter vacation" shoveling, and spring, summer, fall, I do landscape maintenance.
I have those shovel muscles every girl dreams of!

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
They don't move sometimes even when you have a blower on them! One of my jobs (real for money job) has a decorative rock dry creek bed. Maintenance headache. Some of the pine needles blow out but most stick their heads in the rocks and won't budge. I have to get down and crawl around to groom it. That property has lot of 200 year old Ponderosa pines. Looong needles.
It's job security. ;)

Latest posts