Thistleblooms Rambles

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Loved reading bits and pieces of your journal. I totally did a walk down memory lane with thoughts of my own horses and training them back in the day. I miss having them. I still hold out hope that I’ll have one - or more ;) again someday :love

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Loved reading bits and pieces of your journal. I totally did a walk down memory lane with thoughts of my own horses and training them back in the day. I miss having them. I still hold out hope that I’ll have one - or more ;) again someday :love

Well hold on to that dream! You're still young, that season will come around for you again. I don't think you're ever too old. I'm 63 and starting a mustang from scratch. Being old doesn't always equal being smart though, haha.
I'm always happy to talk horse if you want to reminisce about your favorites. :)

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
~
The sky was so beautiful on Tuesday when I was coming home I had to pull over and take a picture.

20200324_190930.jpg

Tuesday was a very spring day. Sun, hail, rain, snow pellets, sun, wind...all chasing each other.
Another day at the office.

20200324_115228.jpg

A few minutes later the mountains disappeared.
20200324_121039.jpg

Sun ... then the clouds let go. Makes work interesting.
20200324_115112.jpg
20200324_121508.jpg

Found out my clients will be back in residence in May, a month earlier than usual. I'm going to take care of things as usual, until I hear different.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thursday I decided to prune a tree that has been bugging me at work for 2 years. It's a sambucus and was just a horrible mess.
Should really come out as it doesn't add to the landscape, but I will wait for my clients to make that decision. I would love to replace it with a Cherokee Brave dogwood.

Here it is before the attack.

20200326_105219.jpg

And the aftermath...

20200326_134002(1).jpg

I took so much off! There were two dead trunks in there along with all manner of crossing twisted branches and waterspouts.
I could have kept going because it's all congested up higher, but then I would have ended up with a matchstick, lol. Poor old ugly tree.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
We'll see what happens when it leafs out. I know there will be a lot of exuberant growth where I made all the cuts, so in June I'll have to get back in there and rub them out. No, @Bruce , I've never seen it bloom, and there are definitely no berries on it ever. Do they make fruitless elderberries? 🤔

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I looked it up and cannot find a fruitless elderberry. I know there are a lot of ornamental fruit trees that have been bred to be fruitless, but doesn't seem to have happened in the sambucus lines. Maybe the thing does bloom, but I am sure there have never been berries, unless a neighbor has been sneaking in and harvesting, LOL.
This landscape is fairly low maintenance so I don't spend a lot of time there in the summer. It is the "guest cottage" to my big job.